View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 12:38 PM

help! how do you get rid of debt collectors?

Am furious!!!

Months ago (mid september) we bought a 3g service from 3 (a company I wouldn't go to again if you threatened me with death!), which had a 14 day trial period. Of course, it didn't work so it went back a few days later. Since then we've had bill after bill from 3 - who we have contacted about it, and who refuse to enter into discussion on the matter. We have given Carphone Warehouse (where we bought it from) absolute hell - and to be fair to them they've done their level best to srot it out, but it turns out 3 have lost some important DRN code and will not admit to this to anyone but carphone warehouse. We have receipts to prove we've taken it back etc, and even now 3 have acknowledged that we did try and the fault was at their end. Not before they referred us to the dreaded NCO though. Of course, try calling NCO!!! Bloomin' indian call centres - they can't speak a word of intelligable english, and they are rude and ignorant to boot!

So - we've had loads of letter from them threatening us with all sorts - what on earth are we supposed to do? they won't enter into discussion with us over the matter - they want €400 odd (funny considering this is for 2 months of service at €20 a month - which we didn't have anyway!!!), and won't pee off until they get it. So I just assume it's going to have to take it's course until it gets to court and we win obviously. I'm just hoping there may be some way of getting rid of them without all that hassle!

thanks

xx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Do you have a Citizen's Advice Bureau? They are really good and it's free.

HTH x
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I should say in the first post that no - there's no CAB here - citizens information - however they have no offices anywhere near where we live

xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I had this sometime ago on behalf of one of my clients where a power company refused to acknowledge my letters to them proving that my client wasn't responsible. (I'm not a solicitor, I only got involved because I arrange payments for some clients).

I have been trying to find the letter I sent to the debt collection agency to let you see what I said, but I can't find it (I can't remember enough of the details).

But basically I wrote to the debt company (recorded delivery) with a copy of all the supporting documents and in the letter said:
that I had already informed their client that this amount is not a correct debt.
that I am now supplying them with the information to prove this:
that if they didn't drop the matter immediately not only was I looking forward to seeing how stupid they looked when they tried to take us to court, but I would be claiming all my costs in defending the case.
in addition to claiming against them for all costs incurred in defending the erroneous action, if my client was in anyway detrimentally affected by this false accusation and invalid claim (e.g. by affecting credit rating), we would seek redress/compensation, through the courts if necsesary.

A similar letter was written to the customer services department of the energy company.

It certainly worked in my case.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Sorry, just one more bit to add, I was thinking it wasn't relevent as I threatened to report the power company to the energy watchdog, but of course there is one for the phone companies too isn't there - is it Oftel?

I would include that you are going to report them to Oftel in the letter to 3 and if you don't get an immediate reply from 3, write to Oftel copying everything you have sent to 3 and the debt agent.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 01:21 PM
thank you ever so much! I may well do all the above!

xx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Also state in a letter to the collections company that you will no longer correspond with the company via telephone calls or agents calling at your home (you have the right to do this) and that any future correspondence must be in writing only. If they fail to adhere to this it is tantamount to harrasment and if necessary the police will be contacted to remove trespassers from your property. Send a copy ofthe letter to 3 and the carphone warehouse aswell. There is agreat website for help with hassles like this, I'm sure I posted it on dogsey before give me a minute and I will see if I can find it.

Keep any letters and keep a note of any calls etc that do happen (dates times and content)

ETA
See http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=70576 can't post link as forums on it
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Have you tried going into a 3 phone store, and giving their staff hell also? It's worked for me. And yes, my run in's with 3 were similar to yours!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Zoundz - Do you have a local radio station near you, one that does 'phone in' type programmes, if so ring them up and say you want to talk about this company that is threatening you and won't listen to your side etc. and tell them you think it is important all their listeners know about it.

Has worked for a few people I know.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-12-2008, 08:10 PM
3 don't get me started We had no end of problems with their phones and service even watchdog did a program on the specific problem we were having. They insisted the only way out of it was pay the remainder of the contract, never mind the phone and coverage was abysmal. We refused to pay and they refused to budge. They sent in a debt collector and I produced all the paperwork and the debt collector went away and marked the account nothing to pay non collectable. The charmers at 3 while still ignoring all letters put a bad credit report in against us, which we obviously disputed and eventually 18 months later we managed to get it removed. Oftel were no use whatsoever we followed their proceedures every step of the way and were just left to deal with it alone. We refused to pay on principle and to be honest I think 3 selling contracts is just legalised mugging, their customer service is non existant and when we asked for the ceo's name and address they gave us the details of the guy who left 2 years previously. Total nightmare.