Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lyn_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Bulldog - episodes of temporary blindness and stumbling

My English Bulldog who is seven years old has been stumbling and having episodes of temporary blindness which last several minutes, after which she can see perfectly, although she isnt really herself sleeping lots and not doing much else. She is eating ok. We have a vet who is monitoring her but wondering if anyone had any ideas ?
blood tests are all clear and on examination she appears to be a healthy dog.
Thanks in advance for your replies
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi Lyn, how worrying for you how long has this been happening and how often , has your vet done any kind of scans.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 11:18 PM
If your vet has not already done so, I would suggest him or her doing a full blood profile to start off with.
lyn_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2010, 11:18 PM
hi its been about two weeks, the vet thought she might have an infection and prescribed her some antibiotics they helped ( slightly ) but now the vet is thinking more towards epilepsy..
Meg
Supervisor

26-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by lyn_ View Post
hi its been about two weeks, the vet thought she might have an infection and prescribed her some antibiotics they helped ( slightly ) but now the vet is thinking more towards epilepsy..
Hi Lyn, it could be caused by a number of things epilepsy being one of them so it may not be wise to speculate.

One thing I would do is to keep a diary detailing the episodes and any changes in behaviour.
lyn_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi epilepsy just doesnt seem to sit right to be honest, i am just exploring all avenues as the vet is at a loss at the moment.
Meg
Supervisor

26-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi epilepsy just doesnt seem to sit right to be honest, i am just exploring all avenues as the vet is at a loss at the moment.
Lyn if this problem continues and your vet is unsure of the cause remember you can always request a referral from your vet to one of the Royal Veterinary Collage hospitals.
Bristol may be your nearest I am not sure.
lyn_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Hi thats very useful to know thanks for that i might go down that route if i don't get a diagnosis. Her eyes look really strange - hard to describe - they are red around the edge but they look almost like fish eyes. I was thinking Glaucoma but the vet has checked her eyes. What is the test for Glaucoma?
Meg
Supervisor

27-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Hi thats very useful to know thanks for that i might go down that route if i don't get a diagnosis. Her eyes look really strange - hard to describe - they are red around the edge but they look almost like fish eyes. I was thinking Glaucoma but the vet has checked her eyes. What is the test for Glaucoma?
Hi Lyn, I am not sure how they test the pressure in a dogs eye for Glaucoma. I don't really think Glaucoma fits in with the stumbling. You can't really tell when a dog can't see, their eyesight is different to ours and their sense of smell and hearing so acute it compensates for any loss of sight. I have never seen a blind dog stumble (they do run into things if you move them though) .

My first thought would have been some kind of infection then/substance eaten/ form of epilepsy /neurological problem like a tumour.
I do hope your dog is better soon. I would also inform the breeder.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2010, 06:09 AM
How worrying for you. No advice to offer, as no experience of this kind of thing, just wanted to wish you good luck

x0x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >