Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 06:48 PM

When would you consider rehoming/put to sleep

I was asked the following questions on my behavioural questionnaire for Cain's behavioural consultation tomorrow.

1) Under what circumstances would you consider rehoming your dog?
2) Under what circumstances would you consider euthanasing your dog?

I was slightly taken aback and really had to think about how to answer. I'd never really considered either as an option. No one had ever asked me this before either.

It got me thinking, how would you answer the questions? What behavioural problems could you not live with? This is obviously in relation to behavioural problems not change in circumstances, ill health etc. I realise this might be a controversial/emotive topic but I'm genuinely interested to see what people think.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Tough questions.

When I first adopted Dexter, we were all terrified of him because he repeatedly tried to bite. The first month was hellish and I had to draw a line somewhere - so I said that IF he bit my Mum (she's in her 70s) I would have to rehome him.

That said, we all fell in love with him pretty quickly so not sure what would have happened... Thankfully we never had to find out!

Re: having a dog PTS: my first dog, a lovely Rough Collie, had to be PTS at the age of 12 because he was so ill. We didn't want to do it but the vet said he was really suffering. It was horrendous.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I think I would consider rehoming if my circumstances proved to be contributing to the behavioural issue and was absolutely not at all possible to work around/change, AND if I could find what I was sure was a suitable home-for-life for the dog. If the latter wasn't available then I think I would have to consider euthanasia. There are things worse than PTS and a life full of stress is one of them. It would have to be a pretty severe case though, i.e. more than just a reactive dog that was fine at home or on certain walks, such as a dog that found things stressful even in its own home without visitors etc. stressing it out (or a situation where triggers had to enter the home, such as a dog that was reactive to children and the owners had kids)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 06:52 PM
The dog I rehomed was PTS by me because he was too unpredictable and thus much more dangerous than a predictably aggressive dog.

I would never have passed him on to anyone as he would have posed the same problem to others.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I think if I had a dog which was dangerous and unpredictable around people or animals and I was unable to manage the behavior (ie through training or avoidance).

If the dog did not seem happy as it was constantly nervous, anxious etc.

If I did not feel I could handle such a dog (even after professional help) - I would attempt to rehome. If I was unable to find someone who would properly care for the dog, and give it an enjoyable life.

I have to agree with Krlyr - there are worse things than being put to sleep - and a life full of stress and misery is one of them..

It is easy to hypothasise however I'm not sure in real life it is always so clear cut.

Hope things go well tomorrow, keep us updated
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I have considered re-homing Bailey and TBH still would if the right home came along

Because of this 'scruffing' thing he does, he's hurt both Poppy and Kiara previously and I believe he needs to be a single dog in a home so he doesn't hurt any other dog because of his behaviour. It's triggered mainly by excitement but he sometimes seems to just jump up and grab for no reason however I think he may hear something that makes him jump but who knows his hearing is excellent!!
If the kids are playing he gets excited and grabs Kiz plus Poppy and Kiara no longer play in the house as he wades in and grabs one of them and I feel guilty because I think he's crushing their spirit They used to play all the time before he moved in.

The only time I'd consider putting a dog to sleep would be if it attacked and mauled a human with NO PROVOCATION if one of the kids prodded and poked until they snapped than I'm afraid the kid would be re-homed
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 07:38 PM
If it were the best thing for the dog.
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2011, 08:56 PM
If Anton were to hospitalise someone or all-out attack them with intent to seriously harm them, I think he would have to be PTS. His previous two bites were a snap and a quick but hard bite to the arm - with the ongoing training and precautions we now have in place, he should never have the chance to bite again.

Also, if he attacked a family member unprovoked, I think all the trust would be gone.
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2011, 12:49 AM
1) Under what circumstances would you consider rehoming your dog?
a) If his quality of life was severely limited by my financial or living situation. For example, if I did not have a yard (safely fenced or with enough space for a tie-out), and could not afford to hire someone to take my dog potty at least every 4 hrs (or could not litterbox train him), then I would consider re-homing. Another example would be if I could barely afford to feed myself, and absolutely was unable to buy my dog food.
b) If he showed aggression towards my own child or another resident of my house. This would only be considered after obedience training had proven to be ineffective.
2) Under what circumstances would you consider euthanasing your dog?
a) If his quality of life was severely reduced by a medical condition or age. I don't think it would be right to let my dog suffer if surgery was unable to fix him.
b) If he bit my child (or a child I was not able to safely keep him separated from) severely enough to cause major injury.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2011, 12:56 AM
I honestly cannot say because you forget how utterly horrible it is to start with with a dog you are not bonded too and you dont understand its triggers
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >