View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should Data Info Leaflet be given out with Vaccines
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Not Interested 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Should have added to my post above, that the quality of the animals life has to be taken into consideration as well, they can't take a week off with a sore leg and sit with it elevated so sometimes medication that controls pain will be given, it is not needed to cure the problem just to make the animals life more comfortable. Also medication that would not be given to young humans because they can build up in the body are considered safe in dogs because of the shorter life span.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Think in most cases vets will only give what is asked of them, in most cases all the client wants is their animal in good health. They do not ask enough questions, they do not say I don't understand please explain and they forget they are the ones paying the wages.

So ask and ask again, ask them to explain why they have made the diagnosis they have and what the medication is for and are there any side effects.

Don't go over board though, most medication will have some side effect the art is to weigh up if the expected advantages of the medication out weighs the side effects and does the condition require any intervention anyway or will it be self limiting.

Sometimes you visit the vet for a diagnosis and do not feel the condition requires treatment. Explain how you feel and let the vet explain why you are wrong, if indeed you are, sometimes vets offer medication because they think you will not feel they have done their job if all they do is check the animal and send you off saying it will get better in a week or two.
You`ve hit the nail right on the head Thordell, couldn`t have said it any better
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Absolutely. I always read drug info before I take anything as the docs rarely give any advice. It was the same with the vet - we had to practically pump him for information.
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 08:41 AM
i am on about 15 different medications , and i can honestly say i only know what about half of them are for . if im not sure what they are i sometimes forget to take them, i will not take my pain medication unless i am so bad i feel like im dying .. i prefer to use meditation and aromatherapy / light therapy for pain than be drugged to to a zombie state .
if my dogs are prescribed anything i will ask why and the side effects ect ,,
but its not information thats easily forthcoming most of the time .
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Think in most cases vets will only give what is asked of them, in most cases all the client wants is their animal in good health. They do not ask enough questions, they do not say I don't understand please explain and they forget they are the ones paying the wages.

So ask and ask again, ask them to explain why they have made the diagnosis they have and what the medication is for and are there any side effects.

Don't go over board though, most medication will have some side effect the art is to weigh up if the expected advantages of the medication out weighs the side effects and does the condition require any intervention anyway or will it be self limiting.

Sometimes you visit the vet for a diagnosis and do not feel the condition requires treatment. Explain how you feel and let the vet explain why you are wrong, if indeed you are, sometimes vets offer medication because they think you will not feel they have done their job if all they do is check the animal and send you off saying it will get better in a week or two.
Well said well done!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2