View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2011, 08:58 AM

What would you do if you became allergic to dogs?

Was thinking what would you do if you became allergic to dogs???
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I am allergic to dogs... I ignored it, it's now almost gone. Took a few years (like 10) but I now have 5 dogs and I sneeze sometimes, have watery eyes, sometimes, cough once in awhile. But I LOVE my dogs. I would NEVER get rid of them, or stop adopting them
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:14 AM
I was thinking about this a few days ago - especially as i have a child and was thinking what if he or me became allergic....if my son did then i would have to put him first - the dogs would become kennel dogs and if i became allergic then i would just ignore it unless it was really really bad, in which case they would become kennel dogs.
I would never rehome because of it, but then i also know that my dogs would be happy to be kennel dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I was thinking about this a few days ago - especially as i have a child and was thinking what if he or me became allergic....if my son did then i would have to put him first - the dogs would become kennel dogs and if i became allergic then i would just ignore it unless it was really really bad, in which case they would become kennel dogs.
I would never rehome because of it, but then i also know that my dogs would be happy to be kennel dogs.
I have sometimes wondered too what would happen if my son became allergic to dogs - although he is 3 years old now, so surely it would have shown up if it was going to? Anyway, in a hypothetical situation then I would do the same as you CC. If my son had a bad allergy then I would buy a lovely warm kennel for my dogs and transfer them to living outside (except Flame who is now 9 years old, and she could perhaps be kept in just the kitchen or away from my son etc). Yogi chooses to sleep in the porch most nights anyway, and actually bangs his paws on the back door to go out and sleep there, so I am confident he would be happy living outside, and Rip was an outside kennel dog before he came to me anyway and has periodically been kept in a kennel and has no problems with it.

If I suddenly became allergic out of the blue, I would just live with it I was quite allergic to horses when I was small, hence learning to ride at a more mature age - yet apart from the occasional sneeze when my horses are particularly dusty, I don't seem to have the same reaction to them any more
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:27 AM
I am possibly facing this dilemma. My son has got severe ezcema, we are currently working through possible triggers ( i am bf'ing, so I am going to eliminate wheat and dairy) ive had to stop using all chemicals (can only use Surcare, and Ecover cleaning items) he is on steroid creams atm. I think the next step would be to remove the dogs from the house (im currently hoovering 2-3 times per day, using a furminator on them, and using allergy wipes, in the hope that it isnt them (or the cats!)

Heart breaking to see my little lad (just 21 weeks old) all sore and his skin atm is like a lizards skin and I will do whatever it takes to help him be better. But I feel desperate to keep my dogs, and keep them as family pets
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I would take anti-histamines and get on with it, but would not have anymore when they died....
No way would I rehome my beloved dogs... as it is I am slightly allergic to rabbits, but I still keep them!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm allergic to my cats and I just take antihistimines and carry on. They aren't lap cats though, so that makes life easier. No way would I rehome my dogs, like others have said, I'd probably think about kennelling them. Dan would love to be a kennel dog anyway, although Rio may take some convincing!!!!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:38 AM
I developed allergies to dogs when I was in grade 7. The doc told my parents to get rid of the pets.... I started a full blown tantrum, told them that if they got rid of a single one of them, especially MY DOG, they'd NEVER SEE ME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL... they didn't get rid of the pets, cats stayed out of my room, but I still had my dog sleep in my bed... Kids have a choice too, dont forget it.
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I became allergic to dogs 3 years ago, which is amusing as we work with a number of rescues and also foster.

I just take antihistamine every day, and put up with the symptoms the tablets don't clear - It's sometimes difficult living with the side effects, but I would find it even harder to live without the dogs!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Was thinking what would you do if you became allergic to dogs???
Erm-I already am Murf!

I am just careful about which breed to have, ie non-moulting (none of these risky Poo-adors for me thanks!) and I have been fine.

I do notice my allergy when I come back from dog training as quite a lot of dogs in a small hall and I need my inhaler and my eyes are all itchy. Also when I go to my niece's house her dog (JRT x Cocker) makes me wheezy whereas my Sister's dog (non-shedding Bichon) doesn't affect me at all.

PS when I was a teenage my Mum asked my doctor about getting me a dog and he said I would never be able to have one! Thankfully my Mum didn't listen to him and got me Rusty a Cairn terrier when I was 16. She did say if he made me very ill we would have to rehome him but thankfully I never reacted to him, again a non-shedding breed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >