Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Why would a dogs skin change colour?

I've noticed recently that Tillys skin has darkened on her stomach. Its almost black in places but doesnt appear to be sore or dry. Anyone know what would cause this.

These pics were taken in December

These are today. It is darker than it looks in the photos.

smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 05:53 PM
What does your vet say?
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi, I don't know but all my dogs have dark skins and no vet has ever seen a problem with it. I wonder if they get a suntan over here in Spain. Looks excactly the same as Tilly's....There could be a problem though with either thyroids or something called 'black skin disease', better ask your vet just in case. x
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2011, 06:29 PM
totts has done the exact same. but shes spent most her days outside sunbathing. I assumed it was down to this
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Are you sure it's not v-e-r-y fine hair that's giving it a darker tinge, or do you know it's her actual skin that's turned that colour? Get a magnifying glass on it and I'm sure you'll see some hair there.....maybe?

Don't forget the picture after the spey is of skin that has been shaved right down, but now it's been left to be normal if you see what I mean and it really could be fine, tiny hairs but lots of them, bit like a man's dark shadow of a beard?
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
totts has done the exact same. but shes spent most her days outside sunbathing. I assumed it was down to this
It is Diesel's is the same, in the summer his pink skin turns black, and then in the colder months it goes back to pink
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:19 PM
My old Westie used to have black skin on his belly too He also had eczema and was allergic to meat, which is what we put it down too.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What does your vet say?
Nothing yet but thats my next step.
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
Hi, I don't know but all my dogs have dark skins and no vet has ever seen a problem with it. I wonder if they get a suntan over here in Spain. Looks excactly the same as Tilly's....There could be a problem though with either thyroids or something called 'black skin disease', better ask your vet just in case. x
Looked up black skin disease and that tends to create bald patches of black skin, this is more the skin under the fur has turned black. But thyroid problem could be a possibility. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
I did wonder the same. She spends a lot of time in the garden.
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Are you sure it's not v-e-r-y fine hair that's giving it a darker tinge, or do you know it's her actual skin that's turned that colour? Get a magnifying glass on it and I'm sure you'll see some hair there.....maybe?

Don't forget the picture after the spey is of skin that has been shaved right down, but now it's been left to be normal if you see what I mean and it really could be fine, tiny hairs but lots of them, bit like a man's dark shadow of a beard?
I dont think its hair, it has gone dark all the way under her fur so think its certainly the skin. Think I'll have to run this by the vets. Great!!
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
It is Diesel's is the same, in the summer his pink skin turns black, and then in the colder months it goes back to pink
Thats interesting to know, that their skin will change colour according to the season. Hopefully it will just be that.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
My old Westie used to have black skin on his belly too He also had eczema and was allergic to meat, which is what we put it down too.
She has no other symptoms so hopefully its not an allergy. Its the fact that the skin has changed clour so dramaticaly that concerned me.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
She has no other symptoms so hopefully its not an allergy. Its the fact that the skin has changed clour so dramaticaly that concerned me.
Totts was the same, literally one day rolled onto her back for belly rubs and I was like oh youve turned black lol. but its only happened since shes been spending a lot more time out sunbathing so two and two went together.

But there is no harm in checking it out at the vet for peace of mind.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >