Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 08:40 PM

Help with a howler....

We live in a small cul-de-sac of 5 houses set out in a horseshoe shape. We are the centre house in a row of three with one house on each.

We have Monty - a 1 yr old Boxer
Next door right have two dogs - a cross breed (jrt size with doberman colouring and a white GSD looking dog)
Next door left have 3 JRT's
Next door left but one have Choc Lab and Border Collie.

If we are at home and the other dogs in the cul-de-sac start barking Monty doesn't join in but all the rest do.

Anyway the other day, neighbour to the left said that Monty howls when we leave him to go to work and i kind of took it with a pinch of salt as i know he's not a noisy dog and also that Monty is always in the kitchen which is the furthest side away from their house. Plus his JRT's bark a lot and i thought no way could Monty be as bad as that.

Anyway today i got the chance to ask neighbours on the other side whether he's noisy and they confirmed that he does howl when we go to work or go back from lunch and that it's only for 10-20 minutes and this neighbour said it was nothing compared to the noise his dogs make.

However i hate the thought of Monty howling when i leave and want to know if there's anything i can do about it aside from never leaving the house without him.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how do you deal with?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 09:05 PM
DAP defuser or collar. Frozen Kong stuffed with yummies that he only gets when you go out. Big raw bone that he only gets if left alone.

Leaving a radio on ?

Teach him to accept you going out by leaving him for a minute & praise & treat if he doesn't howl, then very slowly up the time.

Is he behind a solid door in the kitchen ? If so leave an old piece of your clothing close up to the bottom of the door so he can smell it, but not get at it(Tip from John Rogerson)
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
DAP defuser or collar. Frozen Kong stuffed with yummies that he only gets when you go out. Big raw bone that he only gets if left alone.

Leaving a radio on ?

Teach him to accept you going out by leaving him for a minute & praise & treat if he doesn't howl, then very slowly up the time.

Is he behind a solid door in the kitchen ? If so leave an old piece of your clothing close up to the bottom of the door so he can smell it, but not get at it(Tip from John Rogerson)
Thanks for the tips, he always gets his treat ball that he's only allowed when we're out and i also hide treats in old cardboard boxes and stuff .

I always thought he was fine when we out so this has been a bit of a shock or surprise to me.

I will look at the dap diffusers and maybe the clothing thing to comfort him.

We had started giving him the run of the house but he started chewing stuff. I'm thinking of maybe letting him have the kitchen and the stairs/hallway.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Hugs hun...no advice Im afraid.

Reah does this from time to time and she has two other dogs with her, I know Reah does it as sometimes after leaving the house she starts straight away, but my neighbours tell me she settles after a few minutes and they don't mind

Let us know if the clothing thing works
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Poor you mate, I can only just imagine how this makes you feel.

I can recommend DAP, it worked really well at help settle Woody at night.

What do you leave him with when you go? Where are you leaving him now?

Other than that I like the idea of leaving him for short spaces of time (obviously practice at the weekend). This might help him get used to the fact that you go, but it's only for a little while and then you come back.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I leave the radio on for my 2 too, just to distract them from other noises etc. Give him a tasty treat when you leave that will distract him from you leaving and leave the treat ball down for him, big hugs
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Poor you mate, I can only just imagine how this makes you feel.

I can recommend DAP, it worked really well at help settle Woody at night.

What do you leave him with when you go? Where are you leaving him now?

Other than that I like the idea of leaving him for short spaces of time (obviously practice at the weekend). This might help him get used to the fact that you go, but it's only for a little while and then you come back.
Which one did you use in the end, Pidge? collar or diffuser? thinking of getting one for my Slovak.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
If he`s lonely (howling is a calling to others rather than panic at being alone IMO) why not get another dog to keep him company?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If he`s lonely (howling is a calling to others rather than panic at being alone IMO) why not get another dog to keep him company?
I don't think this works for all dogs to be honest. My Slovak will still kick up a fuss and howl (sometimes; there is no rhyme or reason to her separation anxiety) even if she has my other two dogs and even the three cats for company. She wants human company.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Which one did you use in the end, Pidge? collar or diffuser? thinking of getting one for my Slovak.
The diffuser. It took a few days to kick in but was fantastic after that. We don't use it anymore as was mainly to settle him into a routine (he was like an over tired child and would just not settle).

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't think this works for all dogs to be honest. My Slovak will still kick up a fuss and howl (sometimes; there is no rhyme or reason to her separation anxiety) even if she has my other two dogs and even the three cats for company. She wants human company.
I agree. A friend of mine has a mild howler like Monty and Rupert's with his mum all day. It's just a prolonged huff in my opinion.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >