Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Adopting from Guide Dogs?

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes.

We're thinking ahead to our next dog, as our beloved lab is 12 and getting old quickly We're thinking of adopting a young dog who has "failed" the Guide Dogs training, and I'm looking for any guidance/experience of going down this route.

My hubby's friend recently adopted a youngster from Guide Dogs and says it only took a couple of weeks - I thought there was a massive waiting list for ex-Guide Dogs? Did they just get lucky?

Any thoughts & suggestions appreciated.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Have a look on the guide dogs site you register your interest and I think fill in a form and then if a dog suitable for you comes along bingo. I do not think its first come first served more "suitability for dog and home"

A chap from work recently adopted a "medically discharged" police dog he was on the waiting list for 10 months or so but the dog he has is gorgeous.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2016, 09:43 AM
My first GSD was training to be a police dog but was deemed unsuitable so she came to me. I have a good friend who is a police dog instructor so he told me about her.

I have a friend who trains Guide Dogs in Edinburgh, so I will ask him what the procedure is to follow to adopt one of their failed young dogs and let you know.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2016, 10:01 AM
OK I have heard back from him already

He says you have to go to the website and apply online. You are required to reapply every three months as in the past, people went to the waiting list and then went to get a dog themselves without telling guide dogs and when we offered them one they didn't want it.

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/supportu...a#.WBRycMvTXqA
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2016, 04:57 PM
That's great, thanks. Any idea how often dogs come up for re-homing?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by fetchmyslippers View Post
That's great, thanks. Any idea how often dogs come up for re-homing?
He has said he cannot give a definitive answer to that. It would be a matter of waiting for the right dog for you to be available. You also have to bear in mind that failed dogs have failed for a reason. It might be something like health-related atopy, which means the dog might need treatment that may be unmanageable for a blind owner, but relatively easy for someone sighted. It also depends on what exactly you are looking for - ie if you only wanted a female golden retriever under two years of age you may have a longer wait than if you are open to different breeds/ages etc.

Hope that helps.