Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Training Treats?

Whats you dogs favourite treat for training? What makes them really drool?

Am still working on finding stuff for Freckles as she's not overly food motivated (or toy motivated or anything TBH), so far we have found roast chicken, hot dog sausage and cheese to be fairly successful but what about you guys?

Let me know what works for you
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:20 AM
I make my own as then I know what ingredients they comprise. They like the cheese ones (i DO too-they are yummy) and the tuna ones.

When I used to do heelwork to music I would take a combination of small carrot pieces, apple, sausage and cheese. My boy also likes strange things such as satsumas!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Fishy stuff, liver based stuff, corned beef, garlic sausage.

Actually Etta works for any food but prefers the above.

At shows I have used the big fish4dogs treats after her routine.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Sam has always prefered his ball to treats for training.

His very favourite treat is apple. He absolutely adores 'em
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Dexter loves cheese. I cut it into very small cubes and he loves it.

Most of the treats I give him are the dried fish skins that I get from Fish4Dogs. They are low in fat and healthy and he seems to enjoy them.

He also loves bread!! I only let him have a tiny bit though...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I make my own - not only can I control what I put in there, but also I can make a batch up fresh before a training session and they have the bonus of being warm and especially smelly. One very simple recipe that takes less than 5 minutes - get a bag of porridge oats, pour some into a bowl, add a little water (or homemade stock - you can make a batch of this and freeze in portions, e.g. an icecube tray/bag, to use at a later date - simmer a chicken neck/wing/venison bone/whatever in a pan for a while, bin the bone and voila, yummy stock) and an egg, then add your yummy "flavour" (I often use a pouch of Fish4Dogs salmon mousse, you could add tinned fish, bits of chopped/blended liver, anything yummy that's relatively healthy and to hand - yesterday I added a blob of Primula squirty cheese as I was out of pouches). Mix all the ingredients, you want it not quite bread dough texture, but not runny, then microwave for two minutes, then add a minute at a time until it reaches the consistancy you want! I leave it quite crumbly (proably 3-3.5 mins) so that it's easy to eat, good for clicker training as you don't need to wait for them to chew hard treats for ages.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I just use frankfurters as they are simple enough to cook and not too messy. I'm thinking of getting something else which doesnt contain so much salt but I dont know what.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Liver. Dogs will do anything for it.
I brown some ox or pig liver then drain and put in the oven on a low heat till it`s dried out, then cut into small pieces.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:19 PM
We generally use:

Turkey hot dogs (lower in fat than the regular ones!)
Ground beef (which I make up into tiny little meatballs and cook)
Cheese curds
Chicken (though never in large quantities as she has trouble with it; small amounts mixed in with the rest are fine)

I often have a baggy that has a little bit of everything in it. I like offering her the variety as it seems to keep her interest even longer.

Edited to add: My trainer makes herring patties. My dog would leave me for those.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 04:35 PM
livercake
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »