Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i hate seeing fat dogs! drives me mad, as well as seeing people getting dragged rather than walking with their dogs, because they havent taught them to heel.
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Wow, if only it were so easy. I wonder why I didn't think of that before (teaching heel).
I am with Labradork on this.

My Angel pulls like a steam train always has done from day one. Despite attending weekly training classes (woman was highly recommended and supposedly an ex guide dog trainer) and spending hours on end every evening going out doing the turn and change direction technique months on there was not a jot of improvement and I eventually gave up, I left training classes when my trainer labelled him practically untrainable.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 01:39 PM
I feel exactly the same.

Life is too short to stress about little things. I'd spend my whole life in some blind panic if I felt I had to control every aspect of my dogs life. Or indeed, if I felt I had to control the interactions of everyone who came into contact with them.

I'm more than happy for others to feed, play, walk (two of out of the three -- Bo is a bit trickier because of her sometimes potentially dangerous behaviour!), train, treat, etc., my dogs provided no one is getting hurt.
Exactly, it's like road rage - you can't stop other people driving like idiots, can't stop idiots owning/interacting with dogs, so why bother even thinking about it?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I warn people. If they go ahead they take the consequences. Being mugged by 3 big dogs is a life-changing experience.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not really care about the bad habits in other dogs as long as they do not impact on me or my dogs.
Same. I'll treat my dogs the way I want and let others treat theirs the way they want. As long as they're not interfering with me or mine anyway.

I do have problems with people who just hand out treats to other peoples dogs without even bothering to ask. They have no idea whether the treats could be a problem for that dog. Plus I don't want my dog rewarded for running up to people uninvited.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
I am with Labradork on this.

My Angel pulls like a steam train always has done from day one. Despite attending weekly training classes (woman was highly recommended and supposedly an ex guide dog trainer) and spending hours on end every evening going out doing the turn and change direction technique months on there was not a jot of improvement and I eventually gave up, I left training classes when my trainer labelled him practically untrainable.
Yep, my Bo is not great for pulling and lunging after small furries while on lead. She CAN walk to heel very nicely in classes (we have done regular obedience and gundog training) and when I am baiting (aka, bribing) her, but it doesn't seem to translate to the "real world" with her. She still needs constant reminders, verbal corrections, me turning around and slowing down, etc., for her to walk civilly. This is despite YEARS of work which is continuous since I've had her. So I'd hate to think someone who saw her at a moment when she was pulling, that I couldn't be bothered to train her to heel.

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Same. I'll treat my dogs the way I want and let others treat theirs the way they want. As long as they're not interfering with me or mine anyway.

I do have problems with people who just hand out treats to other peoples dogs without even bothering to ask. They have no idea whether the treats could be a problem for that dog. Plus I don't want my dog rewarded for running up to people uninvited.
This is probably one of things I'm not massively thrilled about. I have no problem with the principal because mine love treats, have no food allergies and is a nice gesture from someone who presumably likes dogs. But as you say, it is the connection they make.

One of our local postmen used to have treats to give to local dogs he saw regularly on his rounds. Even after this man retired, it took YEARS for my Labrador to stop trying to mug any postman he saw. He also thought anyone in orange florescent jackets were postmen too.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Yep, my Bo is not great for pulling and lunging after small furries while on lead. She CAN walk to heel very nicely in classes (we have done regular obedience and gundog training) and when I am baiting (aka, bribing) her, but it doesn't seem to translate to the "real world" with her. She still needs constant reminders, verbal corrections, me turning around and slowing down, etc., for her to walk civilly. This is despite YEARS of work which is continuous since I've had her. So I'd hate to think someone who saw her at a moment when she was pulling, that I couldn't be bothered to train her to heel.
Same here, Louie can heel nicely on and offlead at home, in the garden and at class and sometime offlead in the real world (however it is more of a out of arm's reach heel not the obedience one) however he will only be 2 in May and we have come a long way (with the help of a halti)
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I dont mind bad habits in other dogs, in fact it makes me happy to see that other dogs arent perfect makes me feel better about mine

I am quite suprised at how many have people/strangers that want to give your dogs treats over here that just doesnt happen, in fact at dog school we even teach the dogs not to take sweeties from strangers (in case it is poisoned)
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Things i cant stand from dogs and wont tolerate wether my dog or not are - humping, jumping up, begging and biting. I cant stand any of it. I also cant stand owners who make their dogs fat ( i have no issue with fat dogs themselves) and mummets who make either diva dogs that end up nothing like dogs anymore or turn their dogs in to nutty holigans who spoil your walks.
People getting involved with my dog dosnt bug me as it never happens im a total control freak and firm rules are given before entering my house and people have been made to leave for not obaying. Im very much a my house my rules my dog my rules kind of person. I have enough problems with phoebe without people adding more or mucking up my ways of coping with her
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Picking your nose in public-disgusting!
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Counter surfing is a bad habit I really can't stand but Gelert is terrible for it
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >