Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 05:13 PM

Help me guy's

Okay one of the mother's up the school has decided to get thier little boy a puppy.

They want a small dog, short haired and good with children. The father has siad they want a dog as there are a lot of male dogs around so a bitch will be a problem.

As first time dog owner's I said I'd help them out but wouldn't mind some help from u guy's either

Would they be better off with a dog or bitch as a first puppy?

They aren't looking for a particular breed they were going to go to the local RSPCA/NCDL kennels but the little boy particularly want's a puppy.

Thanx guy's for any help you can give
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 05:30 PM
does it really matter what sex they have? i have found it easier having a boy as a first time owner than cocos owner has as she didnt know anything about seasons etc and has had to do a lot of reading as to when to keep her in etc where as with max i havent had to bother wth any of that
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2005, 05:33 PM
How old is the little one? As i do know the NCDL near me will not home to children under 8 we got turned away My daughter was four at the time.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 05:36 PM
hmm yeh they might have a problem gettin a rescue.

Im not sure which sex is easier. Being that both the breeds ive had have been completely different so cant really compare sexes as katy says i think maybe male is easier cos u dont have to worry about seasons.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 06:10 PM
have they ever had a dog/bitch or are they completely iexperienced?

Ive always had a male staffy when mine were teeny but that might not suit everyone
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 06:21 PM
It ll depends on the individual dog. I've had dogs and bitches that have been a pain in the neck, but the babes ive got now are all ok. I dont really count buds as a boy cos hes the softest one of the lot!!I think i'd have a bitch myself cos even though they have seasons dogs can be hard work when theyre humping everything!!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2005, 09:03 PM
The little boy is 6 years old.

I didn't think it mattered about which sex they had but thought I'd ask u lot your opinions
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2005, 09:33 PM
I would decide what sex when meeting the dog every dog is different.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Carole
I would decide what sex when meeting the dog every dog is different.
Hi Staffy agree with Carole , if they do not already have a dog this is not so important , on balance I think I would lean towards dog rather than bitch . As we do not have the age of the child this is a bit difficult so I am going to assume here that he is 7/8 ish?
How lovely, a little boys first dog If they are new to dog owning you might suggest;
Buy a good puppy book,for general info Gwen Bailey's 'The perfect puppy is good' (though I don't like the houstraining with paper
When they go to choose a puppy try to not let the little boy get too excited, crouch down and let the puppy come to him
Take a blanket and whipe it over the place where the puppy has been sleeping (or mother if there is one) so that a familiar smell will go home with the puppy.

Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Ermmm Mini I did post that he is 6 lol

Thanx Mini I will suggest to them about letting the puppy come to him cos the boy is a big lad and get's over excited very easily.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >