View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 02:51 PM
My friends poodles both have their faces shaved and they give no reaction when cut. I have cut a broken whisker off Teg before but wouldn't cut them otherwise. He doesn't seem to use them for anything.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
And I have posted some research which answers your question and more. If you cannot make the connection for yourself, then you are not as intelligent as I thought you were.

In addition, I have explained to you that scent dogs - such as bloodhounds - effectively become "blind" and "deaf" when they are working, everything is focussed on the nose. We used to own a bloodhound, and he could be totally focussed on his nose and the scent he was following - the whiskers can act as a warning system of danger ahead - such as brambles - and trigger the blink response.

Use your imagination!
Using my imagination , its telling me that if a dog is focused on following his nose, its usually down on the ground (the nose) .... so find it difficult to imagine the whiskers warning the dog of anything that might take its eye out...as the whiskers are usually contected to the muzzle area, so in effect will be on the ground along with the nose
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Using my imagination , its telling me that if a dog is focused on following his nose, its usually down on the ground (the nose) .... so find it difficult to imagine the whiskers warning the dog of anything that might take its eye out...as the whiskers are usually contected to the muzzle area, so in effect will be on the ground along with the nose
Exactly......................
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 04:30 PM
There are more wiskers then whats at the end of the dogs nose, there are the seven hair warts around the dogs head, that are placed in blind spots, there was also mention of a part of the brain thats function is to decifer messages from the wiskers (can't remember whether for dogs, but I mentioned the main parts of wiskers in the original article in question already, haven't really looked into too much, as I wouldn't do it, and don't know people who do, and would get strange looks if I even mention doing anything like this for cosmetic reasons ), but I haven't looked into the brain part at all, so don't know, but its perfectly reasonable to think that the wiskers above the dogs eye could be touched by something when going through the undergrowth, transmit messages to the brain causing the dog to move its head a fraction. Unless of cause people only trim the wiskers at the end of the muzzle, leaving the seven that make a circle around the dogs head alone, meaning we don't have to talk about them ones aswell .
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 05:13 PM
My dog's whiskers are shorter than his ears, and do not stick out beyond his head,

The others to the side of the dog's face do not stick out but lie flat against the face.

So again, I am at a loss to see how, if I chose to trim them, they would adversely affect them.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No - the whiskers are erect on the muzzle, stick out sideways and act as a measuring tape for tight spots - such as bramble wires - that may become tangled in the coat, or scratch the eyes.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My dog's whiskers are shorter than his ears, and do not stick out beyond his head,

The others to the side of the dog's face do not stick out but lie flat against the face.

So again, I am at a loss to see how, if I chose to trim them, they would adversely affect them.
They do when they are hunting
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 05:47 PM
So basically you have posted hearsay from your friend without researching his statement yourself to verify the validity of his alleged claims?

That of course is your prerogative.

I do not just cut and paste stuff, regurgitate received wisdom without challenging viewpoints.

Or in other words Gnasher you (once again) do not have a clue what you are talking about!

Thank you for proving my point.
I think you will find that I actually said this info was from my work colleague I don't believe I ever made any claim that this was from a serious scientific sight. As you say, research in the field is just as valuable as internet research - more so, according to you!!

The other stuff, that I put in bold, that was from serious scientific research and was obviously so. What is wrong with that?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 05:51 PM
As I said, I prefer not to use my imagination, but to base my statements on facts. Unlike yourself.

But once again, thanks for more than adequately demonstrating your complete lack of knowledge on the subject at hand.
Well, coming from someone who poo poos the net, that's rich. I have said it before, and I will repeat myself again - you are obviously a very intelligent person, you are far more capable than I at sorting the wheat from the chaff on the internet. But you like to stick to what you learn in the field - very unscientific. I am a medical/legal secretary, and all the Consultants I have and do work for use the internet extensively to research cases past and present, and subscribe to a whole host of medical research sites, including Amadeo.

I am just an ordinary jo with a few O Levels. It is my hubby who is the medical scientist and the clever clogs. I don't profess or pretend to be anything other than what I am. But I am highly suspicious of any intelligent person who decries the benefits of internet research.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I would never trim a dogs whiskers! they look just perfect with them!
Well said - neither will I.

I saw a poodle cross outside Waitrose today, and I had a good look at his muzzle. No whiskers - and I could see if he did have any how very difficult it would be to trim his beard without cutting the whiskers too.
Page 10 of 21 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »