Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Ruby Tuesday

I belong to another forum,there is a behaviourist on there who works for Clumber Spaniel rescue.I had been looking for a companion for my 2yr old Curlycoated retriever for a while,Curlies are the only breed my family have ever owned so I put my name down with Curly rescue,I have been on the list for nearly 18 months but nothing has ever come up.A post was made on this other forum saying Clumber rescue had been very quiet but theyhad recieved a phonecall from a man saying he needed to re-home his Clumber when the behaviourist went to do an assesment she was greeted by a working bred orange and white Cocker spaniel,the man and his wife had separated and as he worked shifts Ruby was being locked in a cage for 12 hours a day,she had also lost her packmate and was suffering from a little separation anxiety,the behaviourist explained she wasn't a Clumber ,he assured the behaviourist she was,he had picked her up as a stray a few years before,she had recieved veterinary treatment and her vet had said because of her colouring she was a Clumber.The behaviourist then got one of her Clumber's out of her car Ruby's owner couldn't believe the difference in the 2 breeds,she explained that she couldn't take her to Clumber rescue,but the man pleaded and she offered to take her and re-home her herself which the owner agreed,Ruby was placed in fostercare with another member from the forum,when I read what had happened to the girl I mentioned I wished I lived nearer,Ruby was perfect for my family her behaviour assesment she flew through ,and she was used to children(I have 3 young daughter's)she needed to be placed with someone who was at home all day and if possible needed to be placed with a placid dog.The next thing the behaviourist said travelling was no problem and she wanted her to be placed with us,she had done 2 homechecks the day she said I could have Ruby,but knew she would be cared and loved by my family,Ruby had a water infection caused by holding herself for 12 hours a day whilst in her cage,but I was advised by the behaviourist on treating with natural treatments,a few days later she was fine,in the 5 weeks she has been with us,she hasn't put a paw wrong,she gets on great with Travis and the kids,she is estimated to be between 8-11 but has no problem keeping up with Travis,she will live out her golden years in Wales with a family who loves her very much
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Awww bless her, well done on giving her a home.
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 03:45 PM
What a lovely story and so glad to hear she settled in so well
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 04:33 PM
That's a lovely story to hear. may she have many happy years with you and your family!
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I love a happy ending (and the name Ruby - my youngest daughters name)

well done, hope you all have a long and happy time together
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Lovely ending Ruby is a lucky girl to have ended up in such a good home, she must think she is in heaven...
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the lovely replies everyone,she is lovely and so placid,I never thought I could love any other breed apart from a Curly,but Ruby has made me change my mind
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 10:04 PM
What agreat story. Well done you.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 10:09 PM
good job have fun with her blx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran