Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sherylfox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2009, 08:29 AM

save my garden

help my puppy is wrecking my garden i put him out to toilet and he is emptying my plant pots ,chewing up my plants and this morning he has eaten a scarecrow, is there anything i can spray on my plants and garden ornaments to stop him totally ruining my garden, what was once my lawn now has holes where she digs,....help!!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:17 AM
no nothing you can spray!
What you can do is fence off a small area that your pup can toilet in and teach your pup to toilet on command in that area. You can also establish a specific part of your garden where your pup can dig, if you want your pup to dig.
Don't let your pup out on it's own to investigate...there are lots of things in gardens that can make pups ill,,amy plants are toxic...and eating slugs and snails is a no no these days.
Your pup sounds like it is being a typical pup and exploring...it just needs some kind guidance and training that's all.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:32 AM
You could play with your puppy more? I suggest you also check garden amd house for anything that might damage an inquisitive pup!
I find growing plants in solid, large containers are the answer, but that`s probably not what you want to hear
sherylfox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
no nothing you can spray!
What you can do is fence off a small area that your pup can toilet in and teach your pup to toilet on command in that area. You can also establish a specific part of your garden where your pup can dig, if you want your pup to dig.
Don't let your pup out on it's own to investigate...there are lots of things in gardens that can make pups ill,,amy plants are toxic...and eating slugs and snails is a no no these days.
Your pup sounds like it is being a typical pup and exploring...it just needs some kind guidance and training that's all.
think i need to put my pots on my fence not my lawn so she cant reach them .. luckily they are mostly summer plants so will be changed soon anyway ....even if it is by marley
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a large paved area in the garden for the Chis where they can't do any harm. I have flowers and trees in that part of the garden but have put a little fence so that the Chis can't get to them. I'm not precious about the garden at all, just afraid what the Chis might eat to make them ill
sherylfox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You could play with your puppy more? I suggest you also check garden amd house for anything that might damage an inquisitive pup!
I find growing plants in solid, large containers are the answer, but that`s probably not what you want to hear
i play with my puppy all the time and my plants are in big pots she climbs into them and tips them over or takes the plants out and there is nothing im my garden or house ,( they have puppy pen ) that can harm them
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Or, become one with canine landscaping ...

I gave up on my lawn, and only plant edible things.. Although I recommend monkey puzzle trees and spikey grasses for inedible pretty bits in pots... Though Kismet recently discovered snails like to hibernate at the bottom of these pots and so has begun a complete redesign... I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out once the remodelling is complete

Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 10:19 AM
If you dont like what your pup is doing then just keep em on a lead when you go out - and move them away from the things you dont want them to touch
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=magpye;1766821]Or, become one with canine landscaping ...

I gave up on my lawn, and only plant edible things.. Although I recommend monkey puzzle trees and spikey grasses for inedible pretty bits in pots... Though Kismet recently discovered snails like to hibernate at the bottom of these pots and so has begun a complete redesign... I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out once the remodelling is complete

I gotta agree Jed has made the backyard his own doggie scape. Being a puppy everything is worth tasting and testing.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2009, 11:46 AM
We have the grass part of our garden fenced off (wooden picket fence). This saves the dogs from ruining the grass and eating the plants. They have access to our large paved patio and a large stony area for toileting. This set up works really well for us.

Unless you actually sit and watch the pup every time he is outside, you might want to think about fencing the part of the garden you don't want him to have access to off. Ours can wonder in and out without worrying.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >