Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 07:42 AM

Stopping Chewing

Morning all

I have heard that you can get some kind of paste to put around the house on items that a pup chews, is this correct and can you get it from a pet shop and does it work, im desperate to leave my pup out of her crate when we go out with our other dog but she just can be trusted.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:56 AM
probably going to get shot down in flames for this but we smeared mustard on the skirting board when b was chewing. he soon stopped.

sue
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Blackie's Mum View Post
probably going to get shot down in flames for this but we smeared mustard on the skirting board when b was chewing. he soon stopped.

sue
Thanks i will give anything ago, seems to just be draught excluder thing on the front door that she goes for, knowing honey she will probably lick it offl
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-07-2009, 10:02 AM
You can get a spray from most pet shops, it leaves a nasty tast on things, we tried it on Nanuqs bed....still chewed it. Does not mean it wont work for you tho.

Like the mustard idea to.....lol
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Thanks i will give anything ago, seems to just be draught excluder thing on the front door that she goes for, knowing honey she will probably lick it offl
hope it works. also try and provide things she can chew to distract her. good luck
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:08 AM
hi
in my experience bad tasting things dont often work for dogs(think about what they do with their mouth) mine love vicks vapour rub the 'good feeling' they get from chewing usually counteracts the bad taste its best to get to the bottom of why your dog is chewing exsesively(?) and treat accordingly
good luck.x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:15 AM
How old is the pup? I personally wouldn't let a dog roam free that I didn't trust 100%. Unless the room is completely puppy proof.

Any of the training sprays/anti chew 'remedies' didn't work for my Lab. I even got some bitter apple spray and he loved the taste of it.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How old is the pup? I personally wouldn't let a dog roam free that I didn't trust 100%. Unless the room is completely puppy proof.

Any of the training sprays/anti chew 'remedies' didn't work for my Lab. I even got some bitter apple spray and he loved the taste of it.

She is approx 9 months old not 100% sure as she a rescue dog whippet cross, she got lots of toys to play but she only seems to go and chew the front door to the point she pulled off the draught excluder on the bottom of it.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-07-2009, 10:27 AM
The commercial product is called Bitter Apple. We have never used it much. smear it on one thing,and the puppy chews something else. We just use strict supervision and crating.