Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2013, 11:32 PM

Over the Counter Pain Meds

Tynan cut himself pretty good on the back of his leg below his hock closer to his foot. It's a cut on a diagonal so there's more openness with a flap of skin. I don't know if i'm explaining it well. I cleaned it and put some an antibiotic ointment on it, then put some gauze and a sock.

I've heard that aspirin could be given to a dog or is there something better to give?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 01:01 AM
I wouldn't give anything without checking with a vet first. Some human meds are lethal to animals even in small doses
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I've had loads of these types of leg injuries with my loonatic dog, and the most important thing you can do is to keep it clean. I doubt very much that a cut will cause enough pain to warrant painkillers, especially giving human ones, it's all too dodgy.

If you can hose it, it will clear all the debris out of it, and then you can dunk the foot/leg into a jug of warm salt water, so that you know it'll be totally clean and start the healing process off with the salt water.

Before applying anything, fold up a wad of kitchen roll and gently hug it around that leg where the cut is, as this will dry it better than anything else, otherwise the cream won't penetrate it so well.

I use that Savlon antisceptic wash spray, which my vet said was ok to use on open wounds. Keep it covered, but whenever possible, leave it open for the air to do its job too.

When it's looking better, I always use that purple spray cos that kills anything that might be lurkinig, plus it dries it out and heals, it's wonderful stuff for cuts on legs, but you can't use it initially, you'll have to carry on doing what you are with it. That Savlon "dry" spray has also been ok'd by my vet to use, but only when it's scabbed over.

I hope he isn't suffering with any pain, but if so, then I would be inclined to let the vet take a look at it. Good luck with him, and good job you noticed it in amongst the fur.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Don't give Asprin as it thins the blood and can cause internal bleeding and be fatal.
If there is a flap of skin then the wound may need stitching so you should go and see your vet asap, who may well give antibiotics too.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Tynan cut himself pretty good on the back of his leg below his hock closer to his foot. It's a cut on a diagonal so there's more openness with a flap of skin. I don't know if i'm explaining it well. I cleaned it and put some an antibiotic ointment on it, then put some gauze and a sock.

I've heard that aspirin could be given to a dog or is there something better to give?
Hi The best thing you can have in a first Aid box is Arnica,we are quite near a beach,and one day,we saw a person carrying his dog,it had cut its paw,there was no glass.so used Arnica,and he put on a sock,there is cream and powder,it stops bruising and deep cleans the wound.crystalgirl
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-03-2013, 09:28 AM
I've been advised to use children's paracetamol liquid for pain relief for the girls, never had to use it, but something I've always borne in mind.
I know when I had horses I use to keep wound powder handy, it came in a puffer type of thing, don't know if it is still available because I often think it would be a handy thing to have. I suffer severe withdrawal symptoms when going in a horsey shop, so have never gone in one to have a look, although after 10 years I should be able to steel myself to do it!!!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I've been advised to use children's paracetamol liquid for pain relief for the girls, never had to use it, but something I've always borne in mind.
I know when I had horses I use to keep wound powder handy, it came in a puffer type of thing, don't know if it is still available because I often think it would be a handy thing to have. I suffer severe withdrawal symptoms when going in a horsey shop, so have never gone in one to have a look, although after 10 years I should be able to steel myself to do it!!!
Hi TW I am the same,been asked to get involved with Afghan racing,just couldnt face it,although I do love looking at pictures of all Afghans,The horsey stuff at our local pet store,has Arnica in powder form,maybe that is what the wound puffer could have been crystalgirl
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2013, 09:49 AM
You can get wound powder for dogs in PAH, at least you could, haven't looked recently as mine has lasted for ages.

It's the first thing I grab for small cuts and accidentally clipping a nail too short
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 09:54 AM
They use IODINE for everything here! As has already been said - I wouldn't give aspirin if there is a bleeding wound.

Vets do prescribe aspirin for dogs sometimes. But I wouldn't give anything to be taken internally without consulting the vet first.

You probably are already well aware that the most important thing to avoid (if it's not a very serious or crippling wound) is infection.

Regarding ARNICA - it is mainly used for injuries that are not OPEN wounds, bruising, strain, muscle pain. I swear by it for bruising for myself. I would be careful using that on an open wound in case it might irritate.

In fact I've just googled it and without clicking on any of the results I can see they all say do not use Arnica cream for open wounds on dogs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes, P@H still do the wound powder, it comes in a little plastic pot, bit like a pot of pepper with holes in the top, I have used it on leg wounds too, it fantastic stuff because it's an antibacterial powder and that's what you need for an open wound.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >