Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Just caught your thread, I'm not sure I'd reach for a muzzle just yet hun, maybe keep her on a long training lead so you can still be in control, Im sure its hormonal, my son's JRT was like this everytime she got near/in season shes 8 now and he only had her spayed 2 years ago, but this last two years have been a wonderful for her, yes she can be a bossy madam but she no longer acts like she is going in for the kill

Best wishes hun, try not to loose faith Im sure she is feeling abit hormonal
Thanks Steph, that is reassuring to hear that about your sons dog. I've just had a long chat on the phone with Gerri who knows Lily really well and she has said the same about it being hormonal. I'd already planned on getting her spayed and I'm hopeful this will help her. She's already displaying other signs, like being very sleepy and licking herself. xx

Originally Posted by rune View Post
How bad are you going to feel if she manages to do it again and injures or badly frightens a dog and/or an owner?

If you are 100% certain you can have her controlled in all situations then don't muzzle her---if you have any doubt then use one. It isn't worth the risk.

Spaying might help but if it becomes a habit it will be more difficult to break it.

Good luck.

rune
I know what you are saying and believe me, I'm not going to wait for that to happen. It is out of character for her and she is due in season, so the chances are there is a link. She will be on a long line around other dogs now until her season is over and until I have my trust back in her. She met a female terrier the other day and I saw her body language change but the dog engaged her in play and that was them for the next 20 minutes. Thanks for the advice.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I would muzzle Lily and keep her on a long line until her hormones have settled down. Wearing a muzzle is not a big deal but injuring another dog is for both the other dog and you. Lily sounds like a good candidate for a spay in a few months time to save you and her going throught his again, because it could become learned behaviour.
I will keep her on a long line but going on what I've been told, I'm going to avoid muzzling her. I will have control over her with the lead so that will be enough. She must have met 40 odd dogs this week and was fine with virtually all of them but I know there is an issue so keeping her on the end of a lead might be the best solution for now. I had planned to get her spayed after this season anyway. Thanks Maxine.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Im sure it is hormonal. She seems to be ticking all the signs off in her book! Its reasuring hearing Stephs experience of her sons jrt. That dog was six when she was spayed and it changed her for the good so I would think that it hopefully wont be a behaviour that cannot be changed in Lily. Its not a nice thing to happen and I know how awful you are feeling Claire. But you are taking steps to insure it wont happen again, you're not ignoring it. Tilly will be having serious words with her on sunday! Big hugs mate. xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Do you have a problem with the idea of a muzzle?

I am interested because I have had several dogs that I have had to use muzzles on and I don't find it a problem but I know a lot of people do.

Are you worried that she will be labelled in other peoples eyes?

Not knocking you I really am interested.

rune
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Im sure it is hormonal. She seems to be ticking all the signs off in her book! Its reasuring hearing Stephs experience of her sons jrt. That dog was six when she was spayed and it changed her for the good so I would think that it hopefully wont be a behaviour that cannot be changed in Lily. Its not a nice thing to happen and I know how awful you are feeling Claire. But you are taking steps to insure it wont happen again, you're not ignoring it. Tilly will be having serious words with her on sunday! Big hugs mate. xx
Thanks Gerri. I appreciate your call and your advice. I know people who would shrug this off, like that stupid woman I met once, but I will not let Lily carry on like this. xx

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Do you have a problem with the idea of a muzzle?

I am interested because I have had several dogs that I have had to use muzzles on and I don't find it a problem but I know a lot of people do.

Are you worried that she will be labelled in other peoples eyes?

Not knocking you I really am interested.

rune
I think because this does seem to be linked to her season, so not an ingrained aggression issue as such, I would be reluctant to muzzle her. When I trained to be a groomer, I witnessed dogs becoming more aggressive when muzzled and it bothered me to see that. Having said that, I don't want anything further to happen, so I feel that by keeping her on a lead and monitoring her closely, she won't get the opportunity to 'attack' again.

As far as what other people think, I'm really not bothered and I certainly don't judge dogs I meet out that are muzzled. We met a dog the other day who greeted Lily in a friendly manner and they played briefly and she was muzzled. If in the future, it turns out that Lily needs to wear a muzzle then so be it. I just want to rule out this hormonal thing first. With her on a lead, I can stop her if she does try and lunge at another dog.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Best of luck with her.

rune
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear this Claire, no wonder you were upset, I would have been the same if it had happened to me

Hope you get to the bottom of what's causing this. Hugs to you, try not to get too upset/stressed as it could transmit to Lily if you meet other dogs and she might pick up on your tension and make her worse.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Sorry to hear this Claire, no wonder you were upset, I would have been the same if it had happened to me

Hope you get to the bottom of what's causing this. Hugs to you, try not to get too upset/stressed as it could transmit to Lily if you meet other dogs and she might pick up on your tension and make her worse.
Thanks Anne-Marie. I just know that I can't let it happen again so will be getting her on a long line. It's so hard not to worry and I know they can pick up on it. The theme seems to be small females. She is fine with large dogs. I'm so sure it is linked to her season now which makes me feel optimistic about this being temporary. xx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Fingers crossed it's season linked, best of luck!

Wys
x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Fingers crossed it's season linked, best of luck!

Wys
x
Thank you
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2