Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:15 PM

A good raw diet for Millie

I want to switch back to raw but want it to be natural not the ready made raw diets

Millie will soon be 5 months in 7 days time before I was feeding her chicken breast,rice, carrots and brocoli along with the occasional bit of apple, bannana, I went over to Pedigree chum wet when she started getting the runny poop a lot it wasnt very runny, I found it was making her very hyper especially the buiscits which id us as Kong fillers or feed as one of her three meals instead of the wet so I switched to Bakers dry and her character has since calmed down a lot at meal times when she was on pedigree chum she would spin a lot and dive on the backs of my legs now ill probably only see her spin the once before being fed so im hopping by swapping to raw she will loose the hyperness. I thought pedigree chum must taste like human since she isnt bitting as much as she used to either.

I was missing bone i think thats why she was getting runny and colourfull poop o.0

I want to stick with chicken so will probably go with chicken wings can you tell me how many a day she will need (she is on three meals still and what I can suppliment it with by giving her a well balanced natural diet. Im not fussed about changing her diet since she doesn't seem to mind as long as she gets to eat and gets no upsets from meal changes either she really loves food in all its forms.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I want to switch back to raw but want it to be natural not the ready made raw diets

Millie will soon be 5 months in 7 days time before I was feeding her chicken breast,rice, carrots and brocoli along with the occasional bit of apple, bannana, I went over to Pedigree chum wet when she started getting the runny poop a lot it wasnt very runny, I found it was making her very hyper especially the buiscits which id us as Kong fillers or feed as one of her three meals instead of the wet so I switched to Bakers dry and her character has since calmed down a lot at meal times when she was on pedigree chum she would spin a lot and dive on the backs of my legs now ill probably only see her spin the once before being fed so im hopping by swapping to raw she will loose the hyperness. I thought pedigree chum must taste like human since she isnt bitting as much as she used to either.

I was missing bone i think thats why she was getting runny and colourfull poop o.0

I want to stick with chicken so will probably go with chicken wings can you tell me how many a day she will need (she is on three meals still and what I can suppliment it with by giving her a well balanced natural diet. Im not fussed about changing her diet since she doesn't seem to mind as long as she gets to eat and gets no upsets from meal changes either she really loves food in all its forms.

I am a bit confused, were you feeding your dog rice when she was on "raw"?

Rice is not part of a raw diet as of course it is cooked...............

Do you not think it would be a good idea to buy some books on the diet to understand exactly what your dog needs before launching into it?

I am not sure how you have made the connection between diet and behavbiour especially as you believe that on Bakers this has disappeared?

I am at a loss to understand the apparent link between the tast of Chum and the taste of humans??????????

Are you sure that the reason that is a bit calmer is not to do with her age?

She seems to have been on an awful lot of foods in a very short time.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:58 PM
This dog eats like horse she has a very hearty appetite and doesn't seem all that fussed what we give her

anywho she was fed natural not for that long as I notticed it was giving her the runs even the chicken meet the breeder gave us was not agreeing with her thats why I switched to complete wet/dry foods Ive been feeding her pedigree chum now for roughly three months and switched over to bakers dry and notticed the change in her behavior the last week it really does agree with her its made a big difference she is much calmer on Bakers then Pedigree chum and im hopping a natural diet will reduce her hyperactiveness.

She loves food a lot we only feed her meals and we don't spoil her diet she only gets treets for training

rice was part of her diet when we went natural she had it with chicken and veg but no bones wasnt sure if a puppy as young as when we started could have bones in their diet.

Its like she is a different dog on Bakers but id much rather switch her to a natural balanced diet then keep her on complete foods for the rest of her life.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Then you need to do your research and fully understand the nutritional needs of your dog, the sources of these nutrients, quantities etc.

Many of us can tell you what we do, but I am sure you would feel more confident with a good book at your side.

I would recommend NAtural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats as the easiest most accessible book for a beginner as it has good tables and sources of food and advice.

http://www.kymythy.com/bookpage.html
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Ill have to make a trip to the library ^^