View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AndrewDCFC
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I dont have the time to feed him using the BARF diet unfortunately. I cant tell if Copper is happy with his dry food or not. Somedays he goes through it like he's enjoying it then other days he just nibbles at it and wont finish eating all of it. I used to add JWB wet food pouches to the kibble but he went off those. He does eat them time to time though.
AndrewDCFC
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Andrew, I am not sure why you would want to do this

A lot of these products contain high levels of salt, some have colouring and additives. I wouldn't eat them myself and I wouldn't give them to my dog either .

If you wish to add something to his kibble there are plenty of alternatives eg sardines in oil (tip the excess oil away) cheap cuts of chicken like thighs which you can cook in bulk and freeze and there are some good wet dog foods to like the Burns tinned food which has a high percentage of fish.
I wanted to do it so that he was getting fresh meat and to liven up his meals. Its only slightly more expensive than wet dog food and I thought it would be healthier. But I can see now that it is probably not a good idea so i will stop doing it.

Ill give the sardines a try, thanks for the suggestion. I know cooking meat myself is a better option, but buying the meat Im talking about is more convenient, but as many have pointed out here, its not such a good idea so I will stop it
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Would it not be preferable to get a balanced dog feed that the dog likes?

I believe feeding 'additives' to kibble is a very bad idea as a matter of routine. Likewise, feeding kibble and raw is very bad as they metabolise at very different rates causing all sorts of problems.

Occasionally I will add some sardines or leftovers but do not add anything as routine, this unbalances complete feeds.

I do know of people who had fed extra tinned food to kibble, and lost their dogs prematurely which was attributed to this very practice.

I will have to go and dig out some info and resources, my research has led me to believe that 'extra' meat to kibble is a very bad idea, whether it be cooked, fresh or tinned.
I haven't read through all 3 pages of this thread, but this sounds quite sensible.

Why are you wanting to do it. If he won't eat the JWB, you may be over feeding him. See http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx Cut back a little if overweight, and take up the uneaten food after 15 minutes.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Just wanted to chip in, I think it's built into humans to feel like our pets need things livening-up. I guess we project our needs onto them. Rather than give him this stuff as a matter of routine, and essentially for nothing, if he likes it, get him to work for it.

Good quality cooked chicken, or other meat, so long as it isn't stuffed full of salt and preservatives, is great as a training tool. If you get it from the butcher, ask, and if you buy it prepacked, check the ingredients. Cut it into teeny pieces and have a pocketful at the ready for walks, classes and so on. He'll work all the harder to earn it if he doesn't get it as part of his dinner
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
My dogs have JWB wet and dry and I also cook fresh chicken breast (boiled) which they have a little of every day. I occasionally give them a slice of ham/corned beef between the 9 of them (which they go mad for) but it's more of a treat than anything else. My babes are extremely healthy and very rarely have any poo problems, so I think the diet works for them
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3