Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2007, 09:12 AM

Between Pets and People

"Some people may not get social support from other human beings, and thats where pets come in. People who have difficultly making contact with other people can make contact with their pet. It's difficult to tell what's too much---what you may think is excessive or too much might be keeping someone else alive."

From the Book:
-Between Pets & People: The Importance Of Animal Companionship
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 10:08 AM
well I know I prefer to be with my dogs and other animals more than I do almost all people!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

05-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
well I know I prefer to be with my dogs and other animals more than I do almost all people!
And I agree with you, Myschievous, wholeheartedly!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Bah! People shmeople....
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2007, 10:52 AM
I also prefer to be around my dog than most people. Most of my family! I quoted the book because alot of people like me have family who don't understand why I have such a passion for animals. I have a certain someone in my family that claims he loves me but yet he still tells me stories of working as a telephone man climbing poles and getting attacked by dogs and the ways he killed them. The last time he done this I stood up for myself for the first time, I told him he was on there territory, he could have used his dog mace. I hope he never brings up animal related topics like that again, because IF I HAVE TO, I will never talk to him again. I left my husband in the first year of our marriage because my cats were in the house, and he wasnt raised to be good to animals and he finally realized this is who I am...I love loving animals, hes excepted that, and supports me all the way.
so if my family member cant, so be it. Id be done with him.

So like the quote "what some people think is too much, might be keeping them alive" when anyones attached to an animal, leave them alone that may be all they have. Everyones entitled to happiness.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by chihuahualover View Post
So like the quote "what some people think is too much, might be keeping them alive" when anyones attached to an animal, leave them alone that may be all they have. Everyones entitled to happiness.
Totally agree and if I'm with my pooches more than people it's actually because I like it that way so I don't want sympathy either.

I was talking about this yesterday as a few people we know just don't understand my dedication to my dogs and they think I must be so bored etc etc but I'm not! I love every second I spend with my dogs - Just because people don't understand that it doesn't mean they are right and I am wrong - I'm sure I wouldn't like what most of them do in their lives!

I think most people think you get a dog just to leave shut up at home all day everyday just to see you for about an hour a day and that you shouldn't have to do much with them - well that's not how I take care of my dogs and I put heaps of time into them which people just don't get - but I know that they just don't have the first idea.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
I think most people think you get a dog just to leave shut up at home all day everyday just to see you for about an hour a day and that you shouldn't have to do much with them - well that's not how I take care of my dogs and I put heaps of time into them which people just don't get - but I know that they just don't have the first idea.
I think the worst thing is people don't realise how much the 'pack' means to a dog. They adour(Sp?) company and I know that when I'm away OH is telling me they are subdued and very obediant. As soon as I'm back home they are their normal happy, naughty, playful doggies.

I suppose being semi-retired we are lucky in that we can always take our dogs with us on trips, and we do, they are our whole life, and our lives are so enriched by their company.