View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 04:14 PM
my son wanted tattoos, I dont like them, but we agreed that if he had to have them, he would have them done at Inkliveevas shop, when he was 18 years old, he paid for them himself,

that way I new he wouldnt get Hep C or some other horrid thing from dirty needles,

but at the same time I had not said NO to his request, I just put some boundaries in place,

he wanted his tattoo at 16 years old, so it bought me two years lol
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 04:15 PM
There's no way I would allow my girls to do that to themselves, whilst I am still their parent and they are under 18. When they are 18, they can make themselves a mess. They have only themselves to blame but under 18, I feel responsible and I am sure they would thank me when they are older. As much as they might resent me for it now.

Last year my Daughter had her beautiful one length gorgeous shiny hair cut from waist length to a short bob (cut right into the nape of her neck). We discussed it at length. I told her it was the wrong thing to do, that she would so regret having her beautiful hair cut, that had taken years to grow. She wouldn't listen! In the end, I took her to a good hairdresser and she had the cut she wanted. Though in itself the cut looked nice, it's not a fraction of the beauty her long hair had.

Now, who do you think gets the blame???? Me, she says that I shouldn't have let her have it cut, as I'm her Mum and should have stuck out with the "NO"! At least her hair is/will grow back but to have scars on her face/tattoos that she regrets, no way. Let her do that when she's 18 and can blame herself for any disfigurement My guess though, she'll change her mind by then
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 04:24 PM
I am so pleased I didn`t have daughters - at least you can threaten sons with showing their girlfriends photos of them naked and they`re never quite sure if you`ll do it.
My (grown up) son had his tongue pierced and I nagged him about going to the dentist because it damages the teeth so he took it out. It closes up in a couple of days.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
oh dear.....your nuts jackie,
i remember standing my aunties kitchen, my cousin has sterilised the needle with a lighter told me to close my eyes, it wont hurt stuck the potato behind my ear and stuck the needle through

Was a good idea at the time, but was terrified of my mum seeing them, so tired to hide it from her... but the trouble was my ears swelled up like balloons and it hurt like hell

She has a right fit when she was them

Oh well, what we do when we are young.

In saying that, we still have to try and be responsible for our kids, and as I said... do as I say, not what I did
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
i remember standing my aunties kitchen, my cousin has sterilised the needle with a lighter told me to close my eyes, it wont hurt stuck the potato behind my ear and stuck the needle through

Was a good idea at the time, but was terrified of my mum seeing them, so tired to hide it from her... but the trouble was my ears swelled up like balloons and it hurt like hell

She has a right fit when she was them

Oh well, what we do when we are young.

In saying that, we still have to try and be responsible for our kids, and as I said... do as I say, not what I did
I think the thing is, we want them to learn by our mistakes but some mistakes they NEED to make, unfortunately (like letting my Daughter ruin her hair). However, there are certain mistakes (like face piercings and the like) that have implications on their health, so that's different.

I had a tattoo done when I was 22 and hid it from my Mum because I knew she'd hit the roof (even though it was a tiny one on my hip). She did hit the roof when she saw it eventually. I think having to hide something at 22 is a bit excessive but 18, I think, is a good time for them to have learned a little about responsibility. I think under 18's can be impulsive and jump for the latest fashion. Great with clothes, make-up and hairstyles but not when it comes to possible infection and scarring for life

I also pierced my own ears (three one side, two the other) but had nothing but infection after infection and had to let them close up - the things we do when we are young
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh dear! It's a difficult one. I'm not sure that you can do much except wait for the fad to pass
I was a coward about piercings. I only got my ears done when i was about 30. A friend booked the appointment without telling me and dragged me along
It did all go wrong though. My ears began to swell and swell until I ended up with a doctor having to get the things out.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
I think the harder you fight it the more they do it

we can but only guide them
Inca's right - try and ignore it hon........ easier said than done, I know.....

x0x
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2009, 06:12 PM
My niece had her tongue, eyebrow, 3 ear piercings, nose and her belly button done, when she was 18, after 12 months of earache from my sister and me which did nothing. All it took was a new boyfriend to say he didn't really like them and that she would look so much more pretty without them. they were gone within the hour. She has never put them back in. Boyfriend is now here husband.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2009, 09:12 AM
It is just a phase! When I was that age I REBELLED like nothing on earth!! I had my nose done 3 times (not at the same time lol) my ears done all the way, eyebrow, belly button, nipple, tongue and tragus. My mum HATED piercings, but I was desperate to get my nose done for the 1st time so she took me after dad persuaded her, then they let me get my eyebrow done in Newcastle. But I wanted more done, they said no, I said yes and got the rest done by 17!! then at 17 I wanted a tatoo! My mum said not until your 18 or until your out of the house (I was due to go to Edinburgh in 6 months) but no I wouldnt wait and got my devil done and hid it from her until we were in Monsoon in Dundee trying on dresses for my 6th year dance and forgot about the little devil on my shoulder! And had a strapless dress on and did a spin and I will never forget this!! My mum's face was in a state of shock and shouted across the shop 'JIM She's gotten a f**cking tattoo of a devil on her shoulder, I'll f**cking ring her f**cking neck'. I was grounded for a month!!! But after a while she even started to like it! Now at 24 I only have my tongue and tragus left pierced and ears (normal) and 2 tattoos with a 3rd on the way. She will grow out of it. Oh also start treating her like an adult, my mum did that after I was grounded and I didnt like it!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 10:01 AM
At 16 my Mum let me have my eyebrow pierced - but not before I had done a tonne of research etc.
At nearly 17 I had the other one done.

At 16 I wanted a tattoo, but know you had to be 18.
I designed my tattoo with Isochicks help, and showed my Mum. She phoned a tatooist, and got them to tell me you had to be 18.
I did SO MUCH research on studios, being clean etc etc, and I waited until I was 18, and got the tattoo I had been wanting - I had carried the design around in my purse for 2 years!

The way I see it - If you want something so bad, and it's going to be with you for life - you should be able to wait for it.

Since then, i've had most places pierced, and i've had another 3 tattoos (1 small, and 2 large ones).

Yes, I do have scars, but I knew that was a possibility because I did research into it.
But, my scars are just a part of me, and don't make me any less/more ugly.

My OH isn't keen on piercings/tattoos, but he met me when I already had them, and he knows they are a part of me.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »