Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 09:53 AM

Fox poop - Any advice??

We are really lucky to have such wonderful open countryside where we live, and can take Bentley on fab walks.
However, he seems to think that fox poop is angel dust
I know it's totally natural for him to do it but is there anyway of stopping him or preventing him? He had two walks on Saturday and did it on both which resulted in two baths. Ketchup is great for getting rid of the smell btw. I really don't want to bath him so often as I know too many baths can be rubbish for the skin etc. On a walk with our friend's dogs last weekend, he did it but they didn't, one of which is the same breed (JRT)

Does anyone have any advice!? Or even stories to share so that I feel better!?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
My dogs don`t roll in fox poo. Homan poo, now........
Shamus was the main culprit, but last time I picked him up and threw him in the sea. He hasn`t done it since.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:15 AM
lol my lot did it once straight after I bathed them all, it was the summer, I took them for a quick walk to dry them out after a nice bath, the lot of them had a good roll in it, its bogging, I didnt know about the ketchup thing, they stank for days,

ewwww C&D human poop ...............never had that one...thank god.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately I have no advice on how to stop them rolling in fox poo other than to walk somewhere else, keep them on a lead or keep them close to you & be extremely vigilant. Some dogs seem more prone to doing it than others.

The smell is distinctive, long-lasting & awful so you certainly have my sympathy. My dogs have only done it on a few occasions & not for a long time but i've no idea what triggers this behaviour ~ perhaps just because it's there & just because they can!! I have heard that you can wash it off with epsom salts dissolved in water & that kills the smell but I would be careful of using this near eyes/ears etc just in case it hurts them.

I walked with some friends last weekend (8 dogs between us) near some fields where the farmer had been muck-spreading. Four of the dogs came back smelling of dung, but one of mine had excelled himself by covering most of his face & neck with poo ~ it looked as though he'd stuck his whole face in a dung heap!!! Not his best moment!
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My dogs don`t roll in fox poo. Human poo, now........
OMG!!!

I grew up on a farm and my gran was always saying that they do it to mask their own scent so they can sneak up on the fox? Our collies did it ALL the time so much so that when Bentley first did it I got upset as the smell reminded me of them (bizarrely) It never mattered with them as they were outside dogs.

I had not heard of using Epsom Salts but the ketchup works a treat! Rub it in and then shampoo off. The first time I just rinsed and he was pink afterwards!!

I think we will just have to be really vigilant, or due to lack of the sea, could I use a water pistol? or is that a bit mean?
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
but one of mine had excelled himself by covering most of his face & neck with poo ~ it looked as though he'd stuck his whole face in a dung heap!!! Not his best moment!
Brilliant!! Thanks for sharing
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi Tess Chloe my latest dog has been an absolute nightmare rolling in fox poo daily

Although I am not a fan of dog coats ,because the weather here has been exceptionally cold and wet and the difference between outside and inside great I bought her a little coat and discovered she won't roll when wearing it

The weather has improved slightly so the coat isn't required at the moment but there has been no more rolling as yet (better not speak too soon ).
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
We have the same problem, but not as often thankfully! Tilly naturally thinks fox poo is a "roll on deodorant" Rather than bath her I usually just get a bowl of water & a cloth & wash it off then spray puppy deodorising spray (from PAH) on my hands & rub it over her coat. You can spray it on them but madam Tilly doesn't like it
She was playing with a beagle today & they took turns rolling on it - yuk it stinks!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Fox Poo
Human Poo
Cow dung
Horse muck
Rabbit droppings

we get the lot