Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 02:55 PM

PAT work had me in tears this morning

All our dogs go into the local care homes to visit the residents regularly, usually one or two at a time. To be perfectly honest I don't take them often as I never seem to have time, my Mum takes them both via her own work and visiting several times a week just picking who to take on the day. I go along on special occasions (easter, xmas, quiz nights etc.). Well they were supposed to be visiting tomorrow but it was moved to today so I went as well and we went straight on to training afterwards.

We took all 5 dogs, including puppy. We started off as normal in the lounge everyone got a good fuss, several hugs and a digestive the residents are always so pleased to see the dogs, they know all of them by name and even have a group photo of them displayed. Of course Ted was a big hit and got lots of cuddles but everybody has their favourite out of the bunch who they want to stroke. After a while we moved on round the rooms, visiting the regulars and so on, went into one patients room, and to be blunt about it he doesnt have very long left :sad-smiley-018: Dillan & Felix sidled upto him for a fuss stroking themselves against his hand as he has very poor movement - and a grin came over his face and his eyes lit up (up until that point he'd been staring blankly), then we brought little Ted in and put him on his chest so he could see him. Ted snuggled up to him and the patient managed to get a hand cupped over him to hug him (huge effort), he was grinning away and then tears started to fall down his face. We went to move Ted away but the man shook his head and spoke one work - 'thankyou'. He was so happy to have the dogs around him and it meant so much to him, our dogs may be our pets, they may do obedience/agility/flyball, cheer me up when i'm feeling blue, but the PAT work is their real high point x
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 02:58 PM
That is so lovely.
(too tearful to write more!)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:00 PM
That's wonderful. I was only thinking yesterday about being too old or frail to have a dog and what I would do...it doesn't bear thinking about. I think PAT dogs do amazing work. I want to do some with Cosmo but I think his tail would hurt people.
Crying now.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:00 PM
It must be so rewarding to do. I'm vounteering at St Theresa's Hospice and am going to mention PAT to the Director. I think the day guests and the in-patients would really benefit from it.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:01 PM
I have always wanted to get into PAT work, but always thought Selkie's fur is too long and would not be hygienic in a hospital environment, Kismet is too young... Pharaoh may be ideal though. I think its an amazing and rewarding thing to do.

How would I get started?
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:04 PM
How lovely to be able to bring such happiness to others
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

That's got me in tears too , OH looking at me strangely now
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

That is such a lovely thing to do. One hospital my son was at had an outdoor garden and I used to take his dog in to see him The other patients loved his visits, and so did the staff!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:07 PM
cried my eyes out reading this. What wonderful work you do Well done. I would have had to walk out the room!!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:08 PM
That's so lovely..
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »