Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 03:14 PM

Traumatised

I have a 15 week old Utonagan who adores other dogs and always wants to play with them. He had only had good experiences with other dogs but a West Highland White approached us the other day and when Loki lay down and wagged his tail the little dog went for him and it upset him so much he's taken a dislike to the breed and keeps barking at them now, even the friendly ones.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Poor Loki

I had the same happen to me when Storm was a puppy. A BC attacked her for no reason and it took me months to get her over it

Everytime she saw a BC, she'd run off into the bushes, or skirt the perimeter of the field

Hopefully Loki will get over it. Try and introduce him to other more dog friendly Westies. It might show him that not all Westie's are going to attack him.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh poor Storm. I wouldn't mind but the owner just let his dog carry on and didn't try to stop it. Loki didn't run scared at all though, it was unbelievable; he went from friendly puppy to hard man (dog?) and immediately defended himself, bit difficult though as he was on his lead. I just don't want him being aggressive to other Westies. We saw a real cutie Westie aftewards and Loki did bark so I had to intervene, poor little ball of fluff was only trying to say hello. ops:
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 03:38 PM
It bloody annoys me when owners just stand there and let thier dogs carry on. I had to intervene between Storm and the BC while his owner just stood there calling his name. Which was just as well as Shaan was on his way to sort the BC out

Storm has thankfully got over her fear, she was only 12 weeks old bless her, and it was one of the first 'proper' walks she'd had after her final jab.

It will be difficult, but hopefully Loki will get better towards Westie's. Loki's barking could be just his way of fending off any Westie before they have a chance to have a go at him. Providing the Westie's owner allows it, try taking Loki over, on lead, and introduce him that way. Try not to show Loki any signs of apprehension or nervousness, because he will pick up on that too. Even the little signs you give will re-inforce his behaviour.

Good luck, hopefully he will impove
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about poor Loki ,I hope he gets over it soon
My Northern Inuit Kira is the same age ,so far with strange dogs she is a bit nervous at first and runs to me but once she sees they are only saying hello she is better

when was Loki born ?,I was just wondering if they share the same birthday ,Kira was born on the 18th of September
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Noooooooooooo!!!! Loki was born on 18 September too!!!!

Wow!
Poor Storm and just when she'd started going out, too!
Some owners are very stupid. Good point about not showing nervousness; I wouldn't want to give him any reason to think he should defend himself.
Still, right after the 'incident' we came across a terribly overweight little dog who'd never really played with other dogs and Loki sat down on his tummy nose to nose with the dog and was gentle ... for about a minute then he started leaping on the other dog in happiness
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Hopefully she's still young enough to get over this and learn not all dogs act like this.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 04:26 PM

It's great that Loki and Kira share the same birthday, talk about 'small world'
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
I thought I would ask as they are both 15 weeks old ,but WOW I never thought it would be the same day
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2005, 04:31 PM
r they from the same litter? or are nothern inuits different from utonagons
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >