View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Terriermon
New Member!
Male 

10-01-2016, 05:43 AM

8 week old Jagdterrier pup - need tips on calming (pic included :-)

So I have an 8 week old Jagdterrier pup. For those unfamiliar, the jagdterrier is a working breed, and needs a job, they can't be "just a pet". They are mostly used for hunting tough critters like badgers and fox, even bears and boars when there are a few of them. Doing a google search of the breed will find you pictures of their successful hunts, and give those who love fuzzy critters nightmares, so...ummm...don't do it .
However, that's a part of the breed, and they need to "hunt" in one way or another. I was aware of that when I got our girl, Unna. I enjoy the fiery spirit of terriers. I met her mother, and she was very friendly and calm, though her owner assured me she had the drive seen in the breed it was just directed to her favourite toy ball. This breed is like a Jack Russell on overdrive.

Anyway, I love Unna, she's a firecracker! Its just been awhile since I've had a 'dominant' pup, she wants to be the Queen of all she sees. I am getting her into a training program for working breeds as soon as she has all her shots, and will get her involved in scent detection, tracking, and barn hunts, as well as my hiking buddy. Until she is vaccinated I need some ideas keep this adorable monster from wearing us out lol. I do try to stick to positive modern training methods, but with her I have unfortunately regressed a couple times and done that 'alpha roll' its hard sometimes when youre getting mauled by puppy teeth, but its clear that just makes her verrrrry ANGRY. So I have to cut that out. If you don't try to restrain her she is a good girl, and although very independent already, she will cuddle and enjoy belly tickles when she is finally ready for sleep. If you try to hold her still, or 'brace' her in the sitting position (or standing for that matter) she freaks out, lots of snarling and thrashing around. I try to calmly redirect her to a toy or chew but its not always easy. I've only had her a few days I should add, but it feels like its been a month already haha. I have been carrying her around petsmart letting people meet her, not putting her on the floor or letting her go near dogs though yet. She is good and happy to meet people with wagging tail and licks, as with us, not showing any worrying signs that she isn't cut out to be a pet. cause sometimes this breed is not. It's just that when denied what she wants, she throws a big tantrum...best ways to deal??

She gets on well so far with our 1.5 year old rat terrier, Chase, though is a bit too rough sometimes. He has more of a "middling" temperament and though he tries to act tough with other dogs and pester them, he will quickly submit if they assert themselves. So Unna is already overwhelming him. What is the best way to correct her for getting to much, and continuing to play roughly with him when he is trying to get away? He does enjoy playing with her as he is also high energy, but rat terriers aren't as tough, and those puppy teeth really upset him when she nips too hard. I think it will be better when they can get outside together and he can outrun her (he is wicked fast).

Ohhh long post sorry. Ok basically I'm just looking for methods to calm her I guess, until she is vaccinated and can get outside for the stimulation she really needs, and tips on how to encourage a good relationship between Unna and Chase

Here's some pics! Yes, one is outside, just outside the door, we have a yard, but I'm hesitant to let her far from the door cause raccoons do wander through far end of the yard, and there have been an increase of rabies and distemper in my area.

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2016, 07:24 AM
She is a pretty little thing.
We have a knowledgeable person on here who owns lurchers and a terrier he may be able to give you some tips.
His dogs are working dogs but as we are in the UK it is more small prey rats etc.,
Terriermon
New Member!
Male 

10-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Cool thanks. I've just noticed this is a mostly UK forum, am I lost? lol. Looks like theres some North American folks here too though. That's ok, maybe I was called to this forum cause its from my birth land hehe. I was born in Bolton, we emigrated to Canada when I was 6. I admire a lot of the rules the UK has created for dogs, such as banning cropping and docking, wish they would implement that here.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from others with working terriers. I am not opposed to hunting with her, but only for things like rabbits and rats that will be dispatched quickly, but not anything that's going to involve a gruesome fight. I don't think hunting for anything larger than a rabbit with dogs is legal here anyway.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2016, 01:53 PM
All welcome here.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Many of the terrier (and other breed) pups react badly to being held in position. Best way to get them to do what you want is to train them to it rather than force them to it.

For example, teach her to sit by luring with a treat. Teach her to hold the sit by increasing duration before you give her the treat.

With 'over the top' pups, calming exercises like stay, leave it etc help them to control their excitement. Keep training fun by removing all the force and letting her believe that it's all her idea and you'll end up with a cracking little dog
Terriermon
New Member!
Male 

10-01-2016, 02:20 PM
thanks, I hope I didn't do anything lasting by trying to force her. Went and got some bitter apple spray to save our hands and tempers, working great so far.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2016, 02:31 PM
I love Jagd Terriers! She is cute.
I think you really need to burn her energy, that will help her to calm down. Try using a flirtpole and see how she takes to it. I've found it to be good mentally and physically.
Terriermon
New Member!
Male 

13-01-2016, 01:31 AM
Yep got a flirt pole! She loves it. Can't use it without Chase hearing and going bonkers though, can't really play with them both with it yet or puppy will get trampled, Chase is really into his flirt pole.

I stepped on her leg last night it was awful We were just playing and she ran under my foot, I'm not even sure what happened but she screamed bloody murder and was limping around. We took her to the emergency vet and she had an x-ray, no damage done thank god. She got a shot of pain meds and was as if nothing had happened this morning. I feel really bad but trying to just carry on as normal, only more careful.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2016, 02:41 AM
Well - if she's like the terriers I've had over the years it won't be the last time you tread on her. I've hit mine with spades, trod on 'em even fallen full length on top of them (and there's a lot of me) all unintentional, of course, but it is absolutely soul destroying when it happens and you think you have done the little blighter some terrible injury. Mine have always recovered from such misfortunes a darn sight quicker than I did.
Every time, with mine it has been as a result of their sheer nosiness and the fact that their reactions are so much quicker than mine!
Sure she'll be fine, although I wouldn't think for one second that it would stop her doing the same thing again.
Good luck with her - looks a grand wee pup.