Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
That's the way to be Becky.
You have to want to change and realise that you need it before you can take that step.

At the end of the day as long as the work is being done- they actually could not give a monkeys. I know they say that they care and are interested in you - but really they are not. This is something I learnt many years ago and it is my mantra. When I am at work then I work hard and give them my full attention - however when home time comes I go home. End of. I do not think about work until I walk in the door the next time.
That actually makes me sound a bit of a shirker - but I am not - I have been doing my job a long time, I know it well and (although I say so myself) I am good at it. I work really hard when I am there to do what has to be done. But you know what - I am not thought any less of than people who work late into the evening, in fact to a degree people admire me for being able to switch off and go home.
But it is easy - home is what I work for, to earn the money to have a decent life at home that we can all enjoy.

Chin up - you know what you have to do now.
xx
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Becky please accept my electronic hugs.

I'm so sorry to hear how your work-life balance, well, just isn't balanced. Glad you went to the Doc's, and glad he took you seriously. Having been in a similar situation where in my previous job of four and a half years I was bullied by my line manager for the last 16months of it. I left citing other reasons and now work as a locum in different trusts, earning lots more money, pride in my work and growing in confidence. Your boss needs you far more than you need their job and when you come to accept this - its such a liberating feeling. Plus it sounds like you do the work of 10 people, your boss is just taking the p*** Enjoy your time off and if I may offer some advice:
1. eat what makes you feel good,
2. do plenty of exercise to burn off any excess frustrations
3. Get out and about and enjoy life (please don't hide away feeling you need to just because your off sick)
4. Don't go into work (just ring and say you'll be off sick until the 12th, they're not allowed to ask you why at this point and you don't ned to justify it)
5. Practice what you're going to say to your boss in your return-to-work interview thingie. Clearly state what you wish to change and get them to make a plen with you. If things return back to usual, rectify it immediatly with another meeting.

I appreciate I may be making some assumptions on you and your situation. I make my comments based on counselling people who come to me with physical manifestations of stress and so many, too many of us put up with rubbish managers. And whilst everyone's situation is unique some basic guidelines apply.

If anyone wants to PM me on this topic I am happy to help where I can, but I have had my PM capability canned until I make 20 posts

Take care everyone
L
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
If the weather is good, Becky, sit outside with a book, a cold drink and the pups and enjoy it!

and don't expect to feel brilliant after a day.. it'll take a little while *hugs*
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Awww Becky, I'm so glad the doctor took the time to give you a thorough going over and arrange for some proper tests to see if there is anything going on. I don't like the sound of your heart, I got that when Mum had broken her hip, and I laid in bed with my heart pounding and racing like that too, and nothing I could do would stop it. I took my own bp and it had gone through the roof and that was just lying in bed!!!! Stress can do untold damage to your poor little heart, and yours is such a BIG heart too, please don't hurt it by piling all this stress on it day after day.

Take advantage of this time off, do as the others have said and try and relax, not think about work AT ALL, and that's an order!!!!!! I tell you what would really, really help you at the moment if you could do it, is to enjoy that slap up lunch you got at M & S and try and have a little nap for an hour, it really would do you the World of good, and if you've had a nice big nutritious lunch it should do the trick, you'll wake up feeling like c*ap, but that will soon go, and you'll feel on top of the World, and try and do that every single day you are having off at the moment, just to give that big old heart of yours a nice well earned chill!

Not a lot more I can say really, apart from be selfish yourself for once, and although that friend of yours needs a bit of support, YOU are more important at the moment, and once you're all recovered and back to normal, you can help her out if she needs you. I was told this time and time again on here when I went through all the stress of mum with her falls, and so was Lynn, and I took the advice, it worked wonders, and I'm back to a well and happy person once again. You can't help but snap at everyone around you when you're totally stressed out, it's human nature, so you need the time and rest to get yourself right again, so do it woman!!!!! Remember, I've got your e-mail addy ya know!!!! xxxxxxxx Take care, lots and lots of hugs to a fabulous, witty, caring, bubbly, friendly, cyberpal
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Well done, Becky - you did exactly the right thing. As for feeling empathy for your work colleague, I know how you feel (again) but there comes a time in everyone's life where they have to put themselves first.

It's a case of "needs must" - you absolutely have to have this break or you will break!

As for what you will do with your time off (which isn't enough IMO), I would think sleeping, relaxing and Dogsey, in that order

Hugs sweetie xxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Just checking by.. are you chilling ? xxxx
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Try looking at it this way - "work" is something you do to support your lifestyle. If work is destroying that lifestyle, then it's counterproductive to go on doing it.

Snorri
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Well I got a text message from the bosses as we all put a fiver in to buy them each a plant for taking us to Denmark & Sweden. (My friends say that actually we were working so should've been paid for that but I didn't claim my hours lol)
Anyway it said thank you for the lovely gift, hope you feel better soon.
My first thought was I bet you do!

Yes I have been chilling.
I bought a lovely fresh baked loaf after dropping Charlie off at the office with an eclair for later.
I've been watching the dogs and posted a video of Tonto on here.
I had a bit of a snooze on the couch.
I picked Charlie up from the office amd we went to the bank, then I went to M&S to get the 'Dine for 2 for a tenner' so my chicken is in the oven as we speak, with new potatoes and peas, choccie melting puds with cream and a nice bottle of rose, though I bet the OH will want to pop out for another bottle when he gets home lol.

Then Charlie and I went to the ice cream parlour for a double scooper and sat on the prom eating it. We often do that on Thursdays when I am off. He gets to choose, the scoop place or a whippy!
Then we went to the bottle bank and did lots of smashing of bottles, we both love that lol.
So I may load the dishwasher in a mo, then again I may not lol.

OH will be home just after 7pm and is then on 4 days off, so I might be able to persuade him to take me out for lunch.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds like you've had a cracking day, and long overdue. You are already sounding so much better, make sure you stick to your docs advice though...no creeping back to work sooner than you are supposed to...we'll all be watching you!!

Have a relaxing evening with your lovely meal and wine and make the most of your time off with your o/h, I bet he'll notice the difference in you too.

Big hugs xxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2008, 06:31 PM
So glad you're behaving yourself. Sounds like you've had a fab day and are looking forward to a lovely evening. Days like today are exactly what you need Becky. Sometimes you just have to accept that your body is telling you enough is enough. xx
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »