View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Sorry to read this Becky, you are one of lifes givers and, unfortunately, work have taken advantage of that fact.

You've already had some great advice and I can't add to that, just to say that we're all here for you if you need to let off steam, and I hope the doctor helps you...even if its just signing you off for a while to allow you to get your strength back, get your mind around whats been happening and how you need to adjust in order that it doesn't continue.

Big hugs to you. xxxx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 07:22 AM
oh hun i have been there but i did get very ill, please let the doc sign you off and take your time, i really home you feel better soon thinking of you hun hugs from us all here. good luck at the doc's xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Poor you Becky, you've exhausted me just reading about how very hard you work, and it's not just a normal kind of job really is it, it's diving around here and there, plus some of the clients who might be well known to you, might be a bit irksome sometimes, or their problems have now become your problems, like that electrical bodge job in that lady's bathroom, it seems a total nightmare to work all those hours every week, no wonder you're totally knackered.

The very first thing the doctor is going to say to you is "change your job" coz that's what our doc told Dave on Monday when he went about not sleeping, stressed out etc. just like you sound, but it's impossible for him coz he's got his own business, but with you, your skills are very much sought after, so it would be quite easy for you to change to a different agency perhaps, or dare I say it, go it alone??? The woman we've now got says she is in absolute heaven working for us, she gets the same money, but doesn't have to chase her tail all day long travelling here there and everywhere for half an hour's visit to each one, so doesn't end up doing a 10 hour day most days. She does the split shifts, but said there really wasn't enough time during her breaks to actually do anything, so she was doing it all at 10pm at night and then she couldn't sleep!

Time to sit back, and really think about your priorities in life I think Becky, afterall, by the sounds of things, you're living to work at the moment instead of working to live aren't you Couldn't you put a private ad in a good magazine (it used to be The Lady or similar when I was working)and try and get into ONE household where the pay is good, the hours are less, and even if you have to have TWO of this type of thing on the go to make up the money, at least you're not doing the headless chicken bit, your head must be spinning, no wonder you're making yourself ill!

It's no good you coming out of the docs with a prescription for some pills to help you get through it, coz at the end of the day, it will burn you out just like Tracy said, and I'm sure the doctor will try and persuade you to slow things down a tad and try and look for something else. If you put that ad in, you can carry on where you are maybe, but not pander so much to the boss's requirements, treat it more like a "job" and if you can't fit it all in, then tough, you just can't and you'll have to tell them that! There's always somebody willing to take advantage of someone like you, who is prepared to put themselves out, work twice as hard as the next person but for the same wage, I've been there myself, until I realised what I was doing and came to my senses. I can also look back on various jobs/businesses I had and how hard I worked sometimes doing a 16 hour day without a break, I made myself ill through all the stress and suffered heart problems at the ripe old age of 45!!! You don't want that do you!!! It's really not worth it, the more you earn, the more you spend, I always found that and sometimes we came down to living on a pittance, but we coped and in fact, I quite enjoyed it sometimes, it made the "having it" again seem all the more enjoyable!

I hope you come to some arrangement when you have a chat with yourself and the quack, but I just know what he/she's going to say, change that job, it's got on top of you, and life's just not worth it, not worth risking your health, your family, or anything else that is of the utmost importance in life, it all goes too fast, then you look back and see the error of your ways!

Awwww, I really feel for you, I don't like to hear of you being like this, you always make us laugh, you're such a bubbly type of person (plus I LIKE you!!!) and you're going to lose all that if you stay put

Now give me the address of that boss of yours then !!!!!!! xxxxxxxx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Thank you everyone, that really helped even if I did sit here blubbing after reading it all.

Well, I went into work as normal after doing my morning calls. Well actually I spent a bit of time with my lady with the dodgy electrics but more about that in that thread, then went into M&S to get something lovely for lunch with a gift card a lovely lady sent me .

But I had a huge headache, it just wouldn't go away. I took some tablets but my sight was almost flashing so at 1.30 I said I had to go home. I tried to get some sleep but just couldn't. I went to pick Charlie up at 3.30 and tried again but still kept tossing and turning. My heart was pounding so much I could feel the bed wobbling! Anyway, I went to the GP as planned at 6.45.

He was brilliant. I told him I was getting palpitations, headaches, heartburn, stomach problems, was being sick, couldn't sleep etc etc etc. I also told him how much work I was doing, the fact I am very rarely at home and anything in my life that isn't work is slowly slipping from my grasp.... and the fact I'm maing mistakes and having near misses when driving just coz I am so tired and often can't see very well.

He said I needed a break. The work is too much for anyone and I need to be appreciated.
He said he didn't want to go down the work related stress thing, unless I wanted him to, until he has ruled out any health problems as to why I am physically and mentally exhausted. He checked my heart, took my BP (slightly high) and got me to lift my legs etc to see if it made my headache worse.
He has ordered that I have an ECG and also a complete range of blood tests and will see me 4 days after to see what they say.
If all is ok and I feel ok to go back I can, BUT I must cut down. If I don't feel ok then he will look at the stress and see where we go from there.
My certificate runs until the 12th, although that is my weekend off and I had already booked Monday 14th off, so that is when I go to see the doctor again.
He was brilliant.

So, I will take my certificate in tomorrow, my day off. I feel awful for my friend that shares the job with me who is in the same boat, and tbh she really needs to do the same as me as I spoke to her today, doing next weeks schedules on her day off, and she said she can't cope anymore and is crying too. It's partly because I didn't want her to get more stress I haven't done something earlier as we are in the same boat but I honestly felt soooo awful/ill today I was so glad I had that appointment to go to.

What on earth will do I do with myself?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm sure you'll find lots to do with your spare time, just relax, chill out and enjoy, you deserve it. I'm pleased that your doc couldn't find anything wrong with you and,hopefully, he is just running the blood tests to be on the safe side.

Hope you're going to start winding down now...a big glass of wine might help xxx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Sleep, relax, spend quality time with your family without feeling guilty and make up lots of quizzes!

You sound a lot more positive tonight and hopefully you can see some light.
I know you are feeling for you collegue but you have to be a bit more selfish (not the right word but you know what I mean) and think of yourself. If she sees you doing it hopefully she will do the same
Take care hun xxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Firstly so sorry to hear this hun, you're doing far too much. I'm really pleased you went to the doc's though. They sound like they're doing everything they can to help you. Take a deep breath and enjoy your time off. Try to relax and wait for your tests to come back. You have to do what's best for you and your mate at work needs to do the same. Look after yourself Becky. We're here if you need us. xxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Sorry just caught this. Wanted to send a hug. Work stress is awful.
What will you do with yourself...methinks your Dogsey posts are going to increase in number somewhat!!!!

Big hugs xxxxxxxxxxx
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Becky - your doctor sounds really nice and very sensible!

The more you are willing to do then the more your work will let you. Why should they bother to find anyone else when you are willing to take it all on. If you want to continue in that job you need to think about yourself and your family first - but of course you know that - the difficult thing is putting into practice.
I think when we do a job that we enjoy we always think that they cannot manage without us - but - NEWSFLASH - they really can !!! because someone else nearly always comes along to fill the slot. They may not be evident now and obviously you feel bad for your friend - but at the end of the day she is not really your problem (and I know that sounds harsh). I know you worry about your clients (again harsh - but at the end of the day they are your company's responsibility - not yours personally)

What is your problem and within your power to fix is you and your family and you being fit and happy and able to enjoy your home life.

I hope you can get this sorted out in a way that will suit you!!

(PS If I have any unexpected time off work I always end up changing the beds and cleaning out cupboards - mad I know but it is nice to do it at my own pace, rather than racing around trying to get washing on the line before I leave for work and then ending up putting the duvet cover on before I crawl into bed !!)

All the best hun xx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 09:49 PM
You know what, you are all totally right and it's the same advice I'd give someone else if they were posting what I have and yet it's sooo blooming hard to give it to myself.

But I was scarily stressed today, and so I'm going to listen.
My friend, a nurse, has been on at me for months saying 'Becky you have to say NO!'
She will be proud of me, sad I'm off work, but proud.
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »