Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:33 PM

What can i expect?

Hey guys,i may be being called as witness is a serious trial nect week.
Only as a character witness but im still s******g myself
i have never so much as stood outside a court house let alone stood up in the court room giving evidence!!!
ppl have been filling me with terror telling me how scarey and intimidating its goijg to be.....aahhhhhh i cant cope with that.
anbody have any idea as to what i should expect???
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt worry too much, its not you on trial and court rooms are not really that scary, just answer the questions you are asked as best you can, it will all be over in seconds, if you are telling the truth then you have nothing to worry about.

Hope it all goes ok xx
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
thanks for replying,i think im just winding myself upto much plus the added pressure of not wanting to let the person on trial down.do the cross-examine character witnesses or just the main witneses?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Awe dont be scared, I spend a fair bit of time in the court room, honest Im not a bad person. lol. Its one of the less glam parts of my job
Your not on trial, your only a whitness, just stay calm, when you are asked to take the stand, you may be asked questions by the prosicution lawyer, defence lawyer PF and also the judge may ask question, try to stay inpartial, dont come over all "he's a bad chap and he did it" this will just get you a whole load of nasty thrown at you in the attempt to throw you off as an unrealiable whitness, dont look like your taking sides, there will be someone there who will show you to the witness room, and you will be given instructions in court, you will be more than fine, remember underneath the wig he is only human and he knows that its people like you who come to court and give evidence that keep the justice system ticking over, its not in there intrest to make it a nasty experiance for you, x shona x
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:55 PM
You didnt witness the crime so I doubt very much you will be crossed examined that much if you are only a character witness, i'm sure they will be more interested in the main witnesses to the actual crime.

Maybe you could see if you could go to the court before the trial and sit in on some other hearings, at least you will get a feel of the place and it wont be so daunting but it really isnt as bad as you think.

Good luck xx
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:58 PM
thanks shona,thats put my mind at rest a little,i jst dont want to let anybody down.im also worried about the prosicution putting words in my mouth.im sure i will be fine though.thanks again
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2007, 08:52 PM
they can't do that if it a character witness only.
your'll be fine the ushers will keep you informed and the sols what and when, just tell the thruth nothing to worry about