Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Long shot but car trouble

I have a little k reg polo i use for work, my friend in the same breed had bought a new car and refused to part ex it so gave it to me cheaply..

Its a fabulous car really is and has been well looked after, the problems started really when it started screaming i thought it was going to have a nervous breakdown..
Changed the fanbelt (not me personally) and week later it went in for an mot passed without any problems...

Then its started to not want to start in a morning if it had been raining the night before, so off it went to the garage and hes a fab bloke he cleaned all the leads plugs etc and its been great since.... apart from the fact now you can drive for about 20mins and everytime the engine has to be idle say at a roundabout/traffic lights it stalls.. always starts again tho..

Its odd as it doesnt do it until 20-30mins has passed? i am presuming its because the automatic choke has stopped?

Well actually i'm a woman and i dont have a clue...

Although the garage bloke is fab we usually have to drop the car off for a week so he can get round to it in his own time and i really cant do this for 3 weeks.. until my husband is back on nightshift and doesnt need the van..

any any help at all?
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm not very good with cars, but I had one once that did that and it was something to to with the timing belt, or something like that, do you have a rev counter on your dash board, I think when it's idling it should be about the 1 (1000) mark, if it's lower than that, the somethings not turning over fast enough to keep it going.
This is where someone else comes in and tell you i don't know what I'm talking about and they are probably right hope you get it sorted
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Firstly the automatic choke should have come off a lot sooner then 20-30mins. It should come off after about five minutes of town driving.

Did your mechanic adjust the injector timing as it is contolled via the ECU.

Could just be something as simply as a dirty plug.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Hi Sarah, If the Polo has fuel injection (Sorry I don't know) then it might be dirt in the injectors (At higher revs. there might be enough pressure to keep the engine running)
Lots of possibilities with this one

As a tempory meausure you could turn up the 'tickover' revs. Again the more modern engines that have an ECU might not let you do this.

Hope you get it sorted. People are quick to toot when you don't move away from lights these days aren't they
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2007, 04:23 PM
My hubby thinks it could be a dirt or something bloking the idle jet.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by dori-katie View Post
My hubby thinks it could be a dirt or something bloking the idle jet.
93 Polos have fuel injection, so don't have idle jets.

Only cars with carbs have those. Sorry!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
93 Polos have fuel injection, so don't have idle jets.

Only cars with carbs have those. Sorry!
I didnt tell him what year just it's a VW Polo.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Most common fault would likely be a vacuum air leak, such as a small pipe from the inlet manifold, you can sometimes hear the leak as a slight hissing sound on idle and trace it from there.

Other fault could be idle speed control valve or possible engine coolant temperature sensor for the ecu.

Unfortunately its not always that simple as the engine management may have a fault stored and that is accessed by the datalink connector with the right equipment.

First port of call is look and listen for air leaks.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2007, 08:50 PM
To me,it sounds like the airflow meter is faulty.