Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Words we use to our dogs

Sorry if this is not the right place please move.
I've been thinkinga lot as I've been reading these threads about the words we use to tell our dogs to do something. Really set me thinking as Dax has obviously not had some words used that I use. For example I have always used need a wee wee or poo for my dogs to go to the toilet but he obviously didn't understand this. Think he must have had do you want the door open as he got very exited when I said this to him. This set me thinking about other words I've heard people use. Know several people who have trained their dog to stay using the word time instead of stay so they get an extra command in the ring every time a stay steward calls time but the one that interested me most was a lady who used shopping for out of sight stays. She explained to me that from tiny puppies she had left them fastened up in a down stay outside the local shop in the village where she lives & if they remained in position they got a reward. She then used this same command for out of sight stays later & her dogs never worried about her going out of sight. Was wondering what individual words some of you use; that is not the standard heel stay etc but words perhaps only you or your family use.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 02:30 PM
If my dogs are laying in front of the doorway or some other place that I need to get to I say "beep beep" and they move

If anyone else tries to move them and uses any other words they won't budge. I will say, you have to say "beep beep" to them and they look at me as if I'm mad.

The dogs still won't move unless they say those words, and they have to say it fast like the toot of a horn
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I have a cousin who has a GSD called Jammin'. They taught him everything by numbers. 1=sit, 2=down, and so on (I can't remember most of them now! ) 5=paw and 11=bite bum. (he will go up to whoever you point to and bite their bum! softly though, it's just a joke!

I also taught Maddy 'slow' for heel, as we did use heel initially but kinda messed up , (long story with an idiot dog trainer), so had to change the command.

Also we've started teaching her to point, as she started to do it a lot recently as just part of her natural instinct in play, so I decided to embelish on it and now when I say 'where's Charlie' she'll stalk, point and hunt him down.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Jack knows the basic sit,stay,dowm etc. but if he's in the way it 'shift your arris' what actual word he responds to I dont know, but he always moves immediatly, and if he's going for a walk in the car (that sounds wrong ), going out in the car for his walk, it's 'tats', that came from my dad, and he knows to go straight to the car.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I tell my two to "chill" when I want them to go lay down
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Max responds to "Find Daddy!" and he will go and look for my OH, and if he hasn't come back from work, he'll go and sit by the back gate.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 03:02 PM
We use Noses, as a command to move away from something that she is too close to, normally food but has been used for wasps etc. (We pinched it from a friend)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 03:16 PM
As I tend to have a pee before taking them out, whenever I go into the downstairs loo, Kip always looks at me. If I say 'Yes' he knows we are going for a walk (after I've finished in the loo!) & goes & gets his ball ready to take with him - if I say 'not going anywhere' he just goes and lies back down again.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I use left and right for Chance to come to my side. I also use walk instead of heel.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Settle down - is one we use in the evening when we're watching tv. Shift - i'll let you all figure that one out. Out for a wee - another no brainer. We also call them both Boys rather than than their individual names. So - Settle down boys etc ( jadie is a girl but she doesnt mind too much.)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >