Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 09:04 AM

Food and Poo's

Hectors now coming up to 6 months and his poo's have gone smelly and gray/green and sometimes very sloppy. Also he is eating it all the time (if I'm not quick enough to pick it up ).
The food he's on now is (please dont shout ) IAMS puppy/junior, his breeder had him on this so I left well alone cause he was ok on it but now things have changed.
I have found that the smell of this food is the same going in and coming out so is this the reason that he's eating his poo.

As he's a Leonberger I need a low protein but good quality food but there is so many brands that its mind boggling.
Can you all help please???
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Burns is a good low protein food. The adult is 18.5%. They also do puppy foods too.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2004, 09:38 AM
I wopld be inclined to have a vet check to make sure that his digestive system is working efficiently. Eating poo can, occasionally, be linked to the food passing out without having having had all the nutrients digested - i.e. it still tastes appetising.

I cannot comment on the commercial foods available in the U.K. but my dogs do very well on raw.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 10:02 AM
I agree with SB I would get him checked out just to be sure .............i would change to an adult food now he is 6mths as well ............
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 10:49 AM
I've just switched Luna on to Nutro Choice.....
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 10:53 AM
One of my dogs eats poo, including her own :smt078

I've tried everything, including speaking to my vet. He told me that there's not a great deal that can be done.

I'd agree with everyone else about getting him checked out, especially as he has a tummy upset.
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 11:00 AM
I feed both my dogs on Nutro which is a low protein food, Burns is also very good

You may find some help on this site for your dog eating her own poo

http://www.understandinganimals.com/....php?article=3
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Ok this is Very very gross, so if you have a weak stomach do not read any futher.

No I said stop !!!!!!

Ok I went to a Dingo farm about 2 years ago, and they had about 200 dingo's running free.
And they were so skinny..

I know Dingo's are always very thin with ribs showing, but this was discusting..

Any way I am not sure if it was feed time or just a snack, but he was feeding them out of a trailer, and all he was throwing them was Carrots..

Any way back to the point of this post.

He also had alot that were caged. ( breeding I think )

And in 2 cages that I saw, as 1 dingo was doing a Pooh, the other dingo was snapping at its Bottom, eating the pooh as it came out.

( I did warn you, but you kept reading )

Anyway, I made a phone call to the rspca, and they said he is checked every month, and his dogs are fine and well looked after..

Ashley...
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 11:29 AM
:smt078

How can feeding these animals be classed as 'well loked after'?

Seems the RSPCA is the same over in OZ as it is in the UK
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Ash
that is gross

Hector has been checked out by the vet and with his past history of teething then this seems to be ongoing for now.
If it was a tummy upset then , boy, I would know it. These dogs are worse than men with the man flu when the're ill.
I'll try a different food to see if these problems stop, hopefully they will, dog breath is not nice at the best of times and when he's been munching it's even worse :smt047
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >