register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 84 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 73 > Last »
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I cant help it I like Cesar and I think his methods will save many dogs that would otherwise of been PTS.
I do think he only deals with aggression would like to see his methods with more scared and abused dogs.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I cant help it I like Cesar and I think his methods will save many dogs that would otherwise of been PTS.
Sadly that's not true. I am on a US training list and know of a few trainers who have picked up the pieces after his visits

As with most dog tv programmes, what you see isn't always what is true - and most dogs on his programme are not going to be otherwise pts I'm quite sure. They may say that..

Trainers and behaviourists in the UK and other countries deal with the sort of "problems" he sees all the time.

The only difference is that he's on tv and uses different techniques (ie ones that are completely over the top and are so not needed to alter behaviour, such as hanging, pinning etc) rather than use accepted modification methods which others use.

Wys
x
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Well the dogs with aggression I have seen I would PTS would not take the risk so I do believe he saves their lives.
He deals with usually big powerful dogs that can mame and kill his methods will obviously have to be tougher.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Well the dogs with aggression I have seen I would PTS would not take the risk so I do believe he saves their lives.
He deals with usually big powerful dogs that can mame and kill his methods will obviously have to be tougher.
I dont think methods have to be tougher, I do think when dealing with large breed dogs with issues you have to have a lot of nerve,

the myth that you need to be hard on them is a bit of a thing that runs hand in hand with large dogs, its that myth that can cause problems.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Just because a dog is big doesn`t mean it can`t be terrified or hurt. Or shy, or unsure or in pain. Just because a dog is big it doesn`t mean it`s OK to be violent to them.
If people can manage horses (a lot bigger and stronger than any dog) without pinning them and shocking and bullying them they should be able to manage a dog without violence.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Been away for the weekend, so only just able to reply

You asked...
B]Posted by Gnasher
how can you judge someone you have never watched !
You really shouldn't form opinions IMO on what you have been told second hand, [/B]

And my reply was that we form and judge opinions of many things in life without personal experience.. not particularly from this forum, but in every single aspect of life..

We read the papers, we form opinions on who/ what , on the mere fact we have either read/or seen it on the TV...

Just as we do on this and any other forum we frequent..

How many times do you read a story on her, someones dog bit someones dog, pick a subject, and tell me you dont make a decision on what you read... is that not forming an opinion second hand

Read an article in the papers, you form an opinion.. you dont need to have met who the article is about to judge or voice an opinion...

Using Labman, was simple an example to the fact , we judge without having personal experience of the subject.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well, seeing as there is as much tosh spouted about CM on this forum as anything else, then I don't think Labman is going to get a very unbiased view !
True , but this is not the only forum, and you will find many who are equally biased to the other side

If Labman formed his opinion of SE based on the more scandalous of descriptions on this forum, he would think that Shaun never washed, never changed his clothes, smelt to high heaven, had some serious defects in the rumpy pumpy department, and knew absolutely zilch about wolves. And these are just some of the "nicer" points !
That's up to him and how he forms an opinion, again, there are plenty of TV coverage to back your opinions on.

It defies logic and understanding that you can form personal opinions on anyone, or any animal, without meeting that person first. Would you try and train a dog from a distance, without meeting it, via a third person, giving instructions down a mobile phone? No of course you wouldn't. Would you agree to have an affair with someone you had never met (and don't take this personally, it is only an analogy !) ? No, I am sure you would not.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion, as you are quite good at doing so yourself..

As you are very good at informing others that their judgement on their own dogs is incorrect....

As on more than one occasion, you have informed members they have it wrong on their dogs pack structure making judgements on what you read without seeing for your self

God forbid if I ever just accepted what the majority of people think on this forum without challenge, just because it IS the majority view ! Blindly believed every scientific paper I read, just because it had been written by a clever clogs with a degree (like my old man, I argue with him CONSTANTLY about everything, as you can imagine !! )

Gnasher by name, Gnasher by nature ... gggggggrrrrrrrr !!!
I dont think that will ever happen, as your posts will verify that.

Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
A personal opinion, is exactly that PERSONAL!!! How can you have a personal opinion based on other peoples opinions and beliefs.
Didn't I say that, we make personal opinions on what we read/see and hear second or third hand every day!!

It's like saying you don't like pizza because you've read in the papers that it's vile and on food forums the majority of people think it's disgusting. Therefore you don't like pizza!!!!!

True, as in many things we ask or seek other people opinions on many subject, then form an opinion on their judgment... i.e recommendations for restaurants/holiday/ food, the list is endless.

And as for pizza, yep, would form an opinion on the packaging... if it looks disgusting it proberbly is

ve a valid opinion on CM I think you would have to watch several shows, take in the criticism as well as the positive points you read about him and then, maybe then, you could have an opinion that others would feel was a considered opinion, rather than a second-hand opinion

People will form opinions whether they have watched read or just heard second third hand stories

OK Jackbox, I know I shouldn't rise to the bait, I was going to resist it, but I can't !!!

How do you know that SE needs a good wash? Have you met him? What do you look like after you have walked your pack, mucked them out, done whatever you do with them? What do you look like after an afternoon's gardening in the hot sun? Or after a long bike ride ?

You may be different from me, but I know what I look like, and that is like something the cat has dragged in backwards! Like a pile of **** quite frankly! As for when I came back after an afternoon of poo picking the field, mucking out and grooming 3 horses, then going for a 2 or 3 hour hack, I would smell less than fragrant and look like a dung heap ! My nails and hands were filthy, if it was wet weather, I would be covered in mud and worse, there would be brown streaks on my face where I had scratched my nose, I looked truly minging !
Yep been there, and I would say to you after a day in the fields you need a good wash

But after you had done your daily choirs, and had your bath, you would look like you have.

My observation is that SE..LOOKS... like he needs a good bath,,,, and that is MY personal opinion

After SE has been Dancing with Wolves all day long, it may just be a tad reasonable for him to look like he has had just a bit more than a bad hair day !

It is when people make these totally ridiculous remarks that SE looks like he needs a good wash, that I just cannot take anything else that they say seriously ... which is, in your case, a shame because you talk a lot of sense sometimes !
[/QUOTE]
That's OK, because I dont take much of what you say seriously either... so no hard feelings..
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Not sure whose dogs these are, but the route to go is a vet visit, as behaviour can be caused by medical problems, then a reputable behaviourist.
If you are a behaviourist, you deal with what comes your way usually, at least the top bods do A friend of mine who is APBC (reputable organisation in the UK) has dealt with many in all sizes, including English mastiffs who were attacking their owners.

What I'm trying to say is that it's normal for them. These are women as well as men, sorting out problems using the science of learning, and helping people out quietly not on tv.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I dont think methods have to be tougher, I do think when dealing with large breed dogs with issues you have to have a lot of nerve,

the myth that you need to be hard on them is a bit of a thing that runs hand in hand with large dogs, its that myth that can cause problems.
Well said Shona

Wys
x
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 05:54 PM
No you dont have to be harder on big dogs but you need to have the strength to physically restrain them should they attack.
I had a very large 58kg muscle machine snap at me yesterday now if he had proper flipped I would of severely struggled to defend myself in comparision to a lab or a springer that I have had turn on me.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 05:57 PM
No you dont have to be harder on big dogs but you need to have the strength to physically restrain them should they attack.
I had a very large 58kg muscle machine snap at me yesterday now if he had proper flipped I would of severely struggled to defend myself in comparision to a lab or a springer that I have had turn on me.
Cant agree here, there is NO way most people are PHYSICALLY strong enough to restrain a very large powerful dog. The very reason we can keep them is that we control them with our voice and with training, never with strength.
Closed Thread
Page 23 of 84 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 73 > Last »