Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2009, 01:58 PM

Worming ten week old puppy

I have just wormed our pup (10 week) and a long worm came out in his mid day poop, identified it as roundworm. I was really shocked to see it and am now concerned.

the fact that a worm came out must mean the worming worked, right?

I am now going to worm our older dog as I do not want to risk him catching them, do I need to worm the cat too?

Any one Know what to do for the best?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi Jonathan what worming preparation are you using, over the counter ones are pretty useless. I use Pancur granules from the vet (though there are other good ones to) It is important your puppy is weighed to get the correct dose which is administered over three days.

I would worm all the animals at once .

The fact that you saw a worm doesn't mean your puppy is worm free, there are probably other worms in your puppy in the various stage of development.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Had this with my Fluffles when I got her at 8 weeks. She vomited the worm up (about 5 inches long ) after worming.

My Vet said that she must have been born with worms (ineffective wormer given to mum and then pups after the birth) so she put her on a five day course of Panacur, which sorted it out (she passed many dead worms during the five day period). Obviously can only be done under Vets advice.

Definitely doing the right thing worming any other dogs in the house, as I was told to do this. Was also advised to clean any poos up immediately and to try not to let her poo on soil, as the eggs can apparently 'live' in soil for a very long time.

As for cat advice, I really don't know, have never had one but imagine that roundworm are roundworm and therefore worming would be necessary but not sure.

Remember, wormers only kill worms and not worm eggs, so you will need to be extra vigilant with your pup as I imagine there are many worm eggs inside waiting to 'hatch.'

Just wanted to say (after reading Minihaha's post) that over-the-counter wormers are not really effective. Fluffles had been wormed with an over the counter one beginning with S, which was obviously totally useless. I use Panacur paste or Drontal Plus tablets and have not had any problems using these.
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2009, 02:17 PM
right of to the vets I go.

I have used an over the counter one from PAH don't know make as box got recycled today (typical).

Going to do all the pets now just to be sure.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I think that's best, just to be on the safe side. The proper wormers from the Vet are very effective
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Back from the vets and got the proper worming stuff (Panacur) for both dogs and the cat!!

Also vet said pup is ok no problems with his abdomin.

Phew
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Oh, that's good!