Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Prey drive in a puppy

This summer we are hoping to add a new puppy to our family and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to shape his behaviour to minimise his prey drive?

He will be an Affenpinscher, a toy sized dog of a terrier type that were used as ratters in the distant past. He will be coming to live with Pepper, a Mini Schnauzer with a high prey drive.

All advice gratefully received

J
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Try and talk to some affie owners and ask them whether it is a problem in the breed. It couldbe down to individuality as well. Liberty will hunt all day where as Ellie just likes her ball!
Becky
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this is of any help to you:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=80378

We've got a beagle pup who's tracking instinct we want to get control of and this looks like a good approach to us. I'm new to it all, but it's all about channelling your dog's attention towards you by becoming the most desireable prey known to a dog! The author claims that you can train your dog in such a way that the stronger the urge to chase prey the more it's attracted to you. So a nice tasty squirel runs past supposedly your dog will feel an urge to come to you instead of chasing it.

Let me know what you think.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 08:38 AM
i have jrts and prt and they are ratters by nature but none of mine do it i have always showed them i have some thing better the them going of and looking. i am sure you will be fine hun and i am sure more people will give better advice.
sbt4eva
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2008, 08:05 AM
hi, i have kia a 10month n archie a 8month staffie.kia has a really high prey drive tbh.wen out walkin in the fieds and woods and she sees a bird,squirrel even rats by the water she stalks then chases.she has never caught any and thankfully is not this way with cats(we have one).also she is like a bloodhound with her nose constantly to the ground,darting here n there wen picking up scents.archie is total opp of her,no intrest at all.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm going through this with Dingo at the moment. One thing I have learnt is patience plays a huge part.