Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Rescuing the oldies

Hey all,

I've just seen the RSPCA advert the one with the old dog at the end.

And I've decided that when we are on our feet and have our finances and everything else sorted and Louie's calmed down a bit, me and the OH are going to rescue the older dogs that people tend to look over, give them their last days in peace and not in a kennel with other dogs around.

I was just wondering if you lot thought it was a good idea.

Where we will be living, we have a huge back garden - the size of a tennis court and a half maybe a little bit more. The house in itself isn't big but can easily house 4 medium sized dogs (if they arent clumsy)
The house is in the countryside, 10 minutes walk from a country park and 20 minutes walk away from a part of sherwood forest. Obvioulsy an old dog wont be able to walk far but a walk into the woods or by the lake then a sit down watching the world going by seems like a pretty good life to me
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Thats great i say go for it! older dogs seem to just slot into the house more than pups although i'm sure there will be exceptions to that rule What sort of dogs are you after? or is it whichever gets your heart good luck with your doggy retirement home
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Ooh lets see...got to be good with rabbits, we have 8, got to be good with younger dogs, we have a 6 year and a 5 month old pup atm, hence why we're waiting til he's older so he's not as bouncy, even though my neighbours 9 year old keeps up ok, but she doesnt seem to want to slow down any time soon. Got to be tolerant of pushy dogs, our 6 year old can be dog aggressive with certain dogs, he still doesnt like the pup and we've tried everything, he'll get used to it (I dont fall for his act like everyone else, I'm not one for baby-ing my dogs)

Oh is that what I'll become a doggy retirement home! I'm ok with that lol. The problem is, not my attatchment to them, my OH he gets so attached so quickly and he;d never admit it but he;s a really sensitive person so I'm worried that when they do pass I'll have to deal with him more than anything else.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I think thats such a lovely idea. Something id like to be able to do aswell
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 06:22 PM
A friend of mine has been doing this for years, she always rescues old labs, over 10 or 12 years old and she currently has a lovely old working lab who she's given the perfect retirement home to and I often walk out with her for an HOUR at a time the dog loves it coz of course, he's been used to working all day, so don't think old dogs can't do the exercise, they can if they want and have been used to it. Good luck, if my husband wasn't so sensitive I'd be doing this on a permanent basis just like my mate, but he can't deal with the loss of our dogs, so I couldn't put him through it I'm afraid, the two we have is enough for me atm. Good luck, I'm smitten with the oldies too
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Well my OH is going in the Marines if he passes his checks, so I guess he'll have to toughen up. I'm thinking about the dogs that dont have a home, he'll always have one. It's not that I'm not sensitive, I just deal with death easier than he does
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Well my OH is going in the Marines if he passes his checks, so I guess he'll have to toughen up. I'm thinking about the dogs that dont have a home, he'll always have one. It's not that I'm not sensitive, I just deal with death easier than he does
I know what you mean, I deal with it too, but when you've lost 6 beloved dogs over the years who you cared for well into their teens, it never gets any easier, so I can also see where my hubby is coming from, although it's always me who has to be with them, whilst he hide's somewhere else in the house crying his heart out it made me think about doing this, even though I'm desperate to give an oldie a good home, we have the room, I have the time and the funds, I just daren't ask him coz I know what he'd say, but good luck to you, I'll have to go for a youngster when I've lost my current oldie, so my youngster can have a new playmate nearer her age, horses for courses, so if you can, then do it!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Awww bless him, I get where Adie's (OH) coming from too it's just I want to rescue and when I go to sanctuaries and rescues the ones left behind are the old ones. And I wanted Adie and I's first dog to be a rescue but we got a puppy (Long story) But of course if we do decide to do it, we'll start off with one and considering his feelings if he finds it too stressful then maybe we'll go for the younger oldies
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Good for you. I love the oldies. Thats why I help out Oldies Club when I can. I own a 15 year old. She is still as lively as ever. We rehomed her 4 years ago.
Heres Muffy aged 14/15 playing with g=her 1 , 2 and 4 year old friends. Muffin is the black an tan bearded collie cross
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo5yCiGxWZU

I wasnt here for this video was my OH sister who took the video
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 07:31 PM
It is really rewarding, but also really tough. We deliberately rescued an oldie and never regretted it for a second, but once he'd gone to the bridge, I couldn't face getting another oldie straight away...the thought of going through the pain of losing them was just too much so we got a younger dog (about 3 years old).

I'm sure I will rescue an oldie again, but not close to having just lost a dog.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >