Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Told you so

Just back from the working breeds show at SKC Ingliston, I went to see how many entries there were in Rottie minor puppy class with tails, not one, all were docked, also, I saw a judge in the limit dog class making a political decision IMO, by picking out the only Rottie in the ring with a tail for a place in the final five.
There were far better dogs in that class and it's a shame on the other contestants that the judge picked this dog out, methinks the judge wanted to be seen as not having a predudice against a dog with a tail.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Does sound like a 'PC' choice doesn't it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
There is no I told you so at all, we all knew it would happen, everyone crammed in their pups before the ban, in fact some puppies are a few days older than they really are allegedly :smt002 so there will not be any noticeable difference for at least a couple of years.
With regards to the decision to place a tailed Rottie well we only have your word for it that the other specimens were better and besides, it is only the opinion of one judge not gospel!
Becky
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
There is no I told you so at all, we all knew it would happen, everyone crammed in their pups before the ban, in fact some puppies are a few days older than they really are allegedly :smt002 so there will not be any noticeable difference for at least a couple of years.
With regards to the decision to place a tailed Rottie well we only have your word for it that the other specimens were better and besides, it is only the opinion of one judge not gospel!
Becky
I spoke to some of the other contestants that were in the ring, also spoke to some bystanders, and they were gobsmacked, the dog with the tail looked like a mongrel, not because it had the tail, it was a poor specimen of a rottie.
This is what's gonna happen folks, make no mistake, if the act stays, were gonna loose a lot of good genes, I spoke to several people of other traditionally DB's and they were all dismayed about it.
There were quite a few from NI where it's still legal to dock, one chap said they would resist the act if there was an attempt by the NI govmt to introduce it.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
I spoke to some of the other contestants that were in the ring, also spoke to some bystanders, and they were gobsmacked, the dog with the tail looked like a mongrel, not because it had the tail, it was a poor specimen of a rottie.
This is what's gonna happen folks, make no mistake, if the act stays, were gonna loose a lot of good genes, I spoke to several people of other traditionally DB's and they were all dismayed about it.
There were quite a few from NI where it's still legal to dock, one chap said they would resist the act if there was an attempt by the NI govmt to introduce it.
You keep saying this but it simply isn't true! The genes will still be there even if a few breeders decide not to breed any more. If you can tell me of one single line that will not be continued because of docking (line not breeder) then I'll start taking your posts a bit more seriously.

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 07:47 PM
It isn't what is going to happen it's your belief that the gene pool will suddenly shrink but evidence from other countries that have banned docking shows that it simply isn't true, things dropped for a few years but then they started to increase again.
In fact I would hazard a (well educated) guess that some breeds will not be affected at all!
Becky
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
I take it none of the bystanders or other exhibitors had their hands on this dog?
It was the judges opinion,it happens,if they feel strongly about it,you don't show under the same judge again.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
You keep saying this but it simply isn't true! The genes will still be there even if a few breeders decide not to breed any more. If you can tell me of one single line that will not be continued because of docking (line not breeder) then I'll start taking your posts a bit more seriously.

Debs
Debs, the act has knocked the heart out of a lot of good breeders, this may be the reason we won't see new puppies being entered for a while, but I know a few who have said it's over for them.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
More fool them if the only reason they have a breed is because it's docked. How many times do you hear supposedly reputable breeders saying they would never sell a dog to someone because the buyer wanted the dog solely because of the way they looked and yet this is how they behave
Becky
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I have to say, i am totally against docking but I judged a working group a few weeks ago at an open show, I had 19 Rotts entered under me including an undocked one. I placed the undocked dog 3rd out of three purely because I felt that the other two were better examples of the breed, it's tail didn't go for it or against it.

Incidently, My group winner was the dobe, 2nd was the Boxer third was the rott and 4th was my own breed the Sibe. I also gave a Rott best working puppy, All docked.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >