Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chy-dewetha@tis
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Snowdrop - Training help needed

Snowdrop is an enchanting 1 year old , male,uncastrated chihuahua. In a moment of grandmotherly concern I offered to have him when my Granddaughter went to Uni. The offer of a place at Uni was not anticipated when she got Snowdrop when he was 12 weeks old.
However, Snowdrop is not trained, either 'house' or to walk with a collar/harness and lead. He has been used to being carried.
This is proving to be much more of a challenge than I anticipated as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which varies from day to day and month to month.
He will trot behind me in a safe place but only comes when I call him if he agrees with my request!
As to the toilet training I am very vigilant, crating him overnight and putting him in the (safe ) garden at intervals during the day. This doesn't always guarantee success!
There is a possibility that friends (who are more capable than I will have him and my granddaughter would be happy with that, but wonder if there is anything I can do to help him, and me?
Chy
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi, Welcome to Dogsey!

The first thing is would say is that you have to go back to treating him like a new puppy with regards to both house-training and walking on a lead...

Will he wear a collar without anything attached to it?

How much "house-training" has he got? Is he clean through the night?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I've just given Takara a box with a treat ball inside to try and work out so given the noise she is making with it, I can't concentrate very well...

I will just say that many people thinking putting the dog in the garden is enough but you actually need to be with him. Make sure you go out with him, wait for him to 'go' (if he doesn't after 3 minutes bring him in and crate him until you take him out again) and reward him when he does with something he really loves.

Sorry I can't give much more ideas but I can't hear myself think past Takara's violent attempts at getting food from the ball in the box!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi Jayne it sounds as if you are getting there but don't expect instant success

You have already been given some good advice, I too would forget Snowdrop is a year old and train him as I would a puppy.

He needs you to take him out to relieve himself about every hour/after food/sleep/play and to praise him when he relieves himself, you can also add a word 'beclean' when he is in the middle 'of going' so that he associates the word with the action and will eventually go on command.

Try putting the lead on at mealtimes, put the dish on the floor some distance away (having shown it to him first) and let him walk to the dish leaving the lead on while he eats so he associates it with good things.
Put the lead on and have someone call him and offer treats/a game again so he associates the lead with good things.

Try carrying him a few yards from home then put him down and he should walk back,treat and praise if he does
chy-dewetha@tis
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks Mininhaha. He actually doesn't mind the lead/harness on and will trot after me thus. But as soon as I take hold of the lead his bottom goes down and treats and encouragement won't budge him! I can't help but admire such huge determination on his part.
Thanks again, will continue!
Chy
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by chy-dewetha@tis View Post
Thanks Mininhaha. He actually doesn't mind the lead/harness on and will trot after me thus. But as soon as I take hold of the lead his bottom goes down and treats and encouragement won't budge him! I can't help but admire such huge determination on his part.
Thanks again, will continue!
Chy
Oh, I remember Murphy doing this a month or so ago!

We were advised to encourage him over to us, but not use the word "come" e.g. let's go! or walk on! and only try and walk a few steps at a time. Sometimes you can do what is called a puppy recall with them on the lead. Take hold of his lead and place yourself a few steps in front of him, and face him. Try and hold the lead, but call him over to you with some tasty treats - fresh cooked chicken or dried liver, or hot dog sausage works well!
chy-dewetha@tis
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks everybody. I'm taking all yout tips on board and persevering with Snowdrop's little ways. Most of the time he does 'go' outside. I've done the taking and being with him. I am mystified when, having been productive he can then squeeze out just enough to lift his leg against my sofa! Bless!
Chy