Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2009, 08:50 PM

Swollen eye again

My boy's eye has flared up again. I have changed our vet. Went to a new one this morning and she has examined his eye thoroughly and prescribed different medication. She said if the medication hasn't worked in a week he will have to have minor surgery as he has developed an absess on his eyelid. I feel angry at my other vet. I have been with him for over 15 years and always trusted them. The new vet today said it probably started with something, like a grass seed, under his eyelid and with it not being removed has caused an infection and absess. Now I am probably faced with him having to have a general anasthetic, even if it is only a very short one, not something I am happy about.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 09:17 PM
oh I'm sorry to hear this.

Fingers crossed that the meds will work, but if he does need a small op, I'm sure it will go fine.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks Hali. Sorry if I seem to over react about it, but they are special aren't they. Our other vet became very successful and has opened up two more practices and it is now very big and informal. However, the new one I went to today is quite a big practice and they were running quite late with appointments, which I never mind about because I always think it means they are doing a thorough job. She certainly gave his eye a thorough examination. They are open all day Saturdays and two hours on a Sunday morning which appealed to me as the other vet was closed on a weekend and things always happen to us at night or the weekend!

Anyway, thanks for listening to me rant on, they are sick of me at home talking about it now, they turned the tv up on me
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't blame you for being upset about it. You would think that your original vet would've seen the irritation, but perhaps he only checked the eyes and not under the eyelid.

If its any consultation, one of my cats once had an absess.

I'm glad you've found this new vet - the weekend service seems really good - like you I always find that things seem to happen over the weekend.

Keep us posted on what happens.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 06:19 AM
What a shame your original vet failed to spot this..... you must be very angry.

Hope you get your lad sorted, and he's soon back to normal

Hugs hon xx
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts, Vicki. Kind of you to reply when you have other things on your mind. Thinking of you xxx
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Back to the vets again tomorrow. My boy's eye is no different after the treatment. When I slide my finger over his eyelid there is a hard lump and his lid is still swollen. I don't think it is an abscess as surely the antibiotics would have sorted out an abscess I am worried it is a tumour. I have got myself in a state over it now as I have been researching 'lumps on dog's eyelid' on the internet and have not read good things.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Everything crossed here that the vet can come up with something that'll sort his eye problem out without having to have an operation.

Thinking of you x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
Back to the vets again tomorrow. My boy's eye is no different after the treatment. When I slide my finger over his eyelid there is a hard lump and his lid is still swollen. I don't think it is an abscess as surely the antibiotics would have sorted out an abscess I am worried it is a tumour. I have got myself in a state over it now as I have been researching 'lumps on dog's eyelid' on the internet and have not read good things.
Ohh bad idea - it's like when you read a medical dictionary you end up thinking you've got leprosy or something!!

I'd not look into too much depth (I've done it myself in the past & ended up getting myself in a stew with anxiety thinking the worst & it turned up we had nothing to worry about! ) Don't assume the worst, it probably is an abscess and can easily be treated by the new vet.

Certainly, I'd be angry with your previous vet too, they should have made a more thorough examination and spotted the cause before the eye got so irritated it has caused an infection.

As you are so worried, why not give your new vet a ring and let them put your mind at rest?

Hope he gets better soon xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 07:02 PM
oh I'm so sorry to hear this, but I agree with Anne-Marie, please don't freak yourself out too much looking up possibilities.

healing vibes for your lad and some hugs for you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >