Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:07 PM

Scent Marking

Our 18 month old JRT is always scent-marking which is no problem outside but we have just started obedience classes which are held in a local hall and he's started marking as soon as he arrives - very embarrassing as its actually a school hall! Will he grow out of this or is there a way of stopping him - he's an entire male dog.

Thanks.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by kiwijan View Post
Will he grow out of this or is there a way of stopping him - he's an entire male dog.
Train him not to do it - it will very easily become a bad habit.
His being entire has little to do with it although neutering will probably reduce his desire to mark.
I have an entire male and he doesn't mark - he knows he isn't allowed
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:29 PM
So how do you train him not to do it - apart from the NO command which he completely ignores as its usually too late!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't allow my dogs to scent mark whilst on lead, can't stop them when running free but on lead I just don't let them stop at every tree, bush fence or lampost. I allow them one good wee when we first go out and then they are walked. Try striding out whilst you are out with him, the slower you walk the easier it is for him to stop to sniff.