Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 10:12 PM

Aggression/temprements (threads merged)

I was chatting to a friend of mine earlier who also owns dogs and we were discussing the in's and out's of things but we were a bit stumped on aggression issues,
Mine have never show any signs of aggression weither it be fear, food, dog or people aggression so I cant really comment on things to be honest.
So here's my question say I mated Shila or Isis to a male who had shown aggression would there pups be aggressive or would they show any aggression in later life?
I know that aggression can be environmental but can it also be inherited from either parent?

Didn't know the best place to put this so sorry if its in the wrong place x
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 11:11 PM
I was thinking this the other day. I do know someone with a staff who raised her perfectly yet is very dog on dog aggressive and has bit people so makes me think some dogs are like born like it.
But then I do believe certain dogs/breeds HAVE to have a firm hand or will take the mick if allowed.
So all in all not sure so not very helpful LOL.
bobbym
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-12-2008, 11:20 PM
as in life the kids will follow the example in front of them, real dad or adoptive dad etc. medical problems excluded
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
as in life the kids will follow the example in front of them, real dad or adoptive dad etc. medical problems excluded
So that would be learned behaviour then not inherited.
I have looked at a dogs pedigree and have spotted 4 males all with some aggressive tendancies so surely that would be inherited?
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2008, 06:53 AM
There has been alot of discussion about aggressive NI's being used as stud dogs and this not being acceptable.

Jem has asked a similar question on another forum but I thought I would ask here. Can a bad temprement/aggressiveness be genetic and therefore passed down a line?

What would you class as aggressive?

Was just interested in getting peoples views. Thanks
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Undoubtedly, totally. Just like looks are passed down a line temperament is also passed down the line. If mum is aggressive and is bred from,not only do the pups stand a chance of inheriting an aggressive 'gene' if you like, but she will also teach them to be aggressive. Those pups in turn will do the same if bred from and at each stage in the line it will get that bit worse.

My view of aggressive and other people's will be different as I have a breed that adores people/dogs etc...to almost a problematic level in itself.
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Could it be less of a genetic inheritance and more a case of 'imprinting'. Obviously a puppy learns a lot in those first few vital weeks, so if they are in contact with older dogs that are perhaps aggressive or do not have the best temprements, is this behaviour then imprinted and thus shapes the dogs behaviour for the rest of it's life?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Any undesirable traits in a dog should be the reason for not breeding ..be it from conformation to temperament.

As all/some/many of these traits can be passed on to the offsprings.

Invariably aggressive dogs will usually have a insecure temperament to begin with , which in itself is a good enough reason not to breed
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
But I suspect this applies to all breeds.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Any breeder, of any breed should not breed an aggressive dog. There is no justification to do so.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >