Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 06:59 PM

Peeing in his crate?

I thought we were doing so well with Roux's toilet training He's five months old, and although we do still get the occasional accident, mostly he takes himself out of the dogflap to toilet, and my OH and I take the dogs out regularly as well.
Last night, my OH caught him peeing on his bed in the crate, and took him straight outside. I washed and dried his bedding and we put it down to an "accident".

Tonight, he's done it again He walked into the crate, pulled out his teddy bear, then went back in and started to pee. I took him outside and waited around in the freezing cold for almost fifteen minutes, but he didn't need to go anymore.

Can anyone tell me what to do? We feed Roux in his crate, and I always thought that dogs didn't normally toilet where they eat and sleep. I'm going to have to wash his bed again but fortunately he was considerate enough to take his teddy out first
Duracell
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
I thought we were doing so well with Roux's toilet training He's five months old, and although we do still get the occasional accident, mostly he takes himself out of the dogflap to toilet, and my OH and I take the dogs out regularly as well.
Last night, my OH caught him peeing on his bed in the crate, and took him straight outside. I washed and dried his bedding and we put it down to an "accident".

Tonight, he's done it again He walked into the crate, pulled out his teddy bear, then went back in and started to pee. I took him outside and waited around in the freezing cold for almost fifteen minutes, but he didn't need to go anymore.

Can anyone tell me what to do? We feed Roux in his crate, and I always thought that dogs didn't normally toilet where they eat and sleep. I'm going to have to wash his bed again but fortunately he was considerate enough to take his teddy out first
If he walked in, took something out then walked back in, it sounds like he might have started associating his crate with going to toilet... having said that, i'm not really sure what to do, you can't really use anything in it as he sleeps in there!

Perhaps try giving it a good clean and all around the area to get rid of any odour, a *really* good clean and perhaps start some kind of re-association with it?

(Someone please feel free to shoot me down, i'm about as far away from an expert as possible :P)
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Our 1 year old girl was crate trained from when we got her at 12 weeks. She learned quickly and we never had any accidents after the first week or two. She never pee'd in her crate, but I do remember that at one stage (perhaps several months old) we had a few 'dirty protests' about something. I don't remember the details, but I do remember that on one occasion I was working in the office and she was playing noisily on the other side of the baby gate. I told her to be quiet and she glared at me, crouched down and peed keeping eye contact throughout.

We collected our little boy from a breeder a couple of hundred miles away. She met us half way at a show. Our little 7 week old pup was required to pee in his crate on the several hours long journey. We were concerned about this because we thought it might cause us problems with crate training. But he was house trained within 2 days! He was more than happy to learn NOT to pee in his crate.

So perhaps some kind of protest or deliberate message to you?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 01:22 PM
They can learn to toilet on a specific surface,so if a young dog has always peed on concrete, as an old dog they will want to pee on concrete. It could be that whatever bedding you have down your dog ihas been used to peeing on in the past. Example...Cosmo's breeder put vet bed in with mum and pups and we put vet bed in the pups bed and on the older dogs beds to absorb any...well...you know. Cosmo would pee on the vet bed if caught short...
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, I washed out the bottom of the crate, and put his bedding through the wash again, and it hasn't happened since, so hopefully it was just a couple of accidents.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Look on the bright side at least he didn't want teddy to drown.
I used to have an habitual bed wetter (parson russell), no matter what was used as bedding, he was really claiming his territory and didn't seem to mind sleeping in it, I used to change his bedding every night and he had several different textures etc. nothing made any difference, hope you have more success.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2008, 05:53 PM
some times the size of the crate makes a difference it did for my amstaff,weak bladders!and how often the dog is out for a leak...take the dog buy the lead and show him /her where to go.feeding a dog in a crate is not the best idea IMO/seperate all things sleep area/pee area/food area/i take my dogs out 2 huors after a meal and it took awhile to gett this pattern down...and finally some dogs will pee on fresh linin,because its a new smell and the simply mark it