Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmandaNichole
New Member!
Female 

15-04-2013, 10:28 PM

Behavior Change-Peeing in Crate...

Hi everyone!
For the last 3 weeks, I have started letting my dogs (a 3 yr old Beagle and a 3.5 yr old dachshund/poodle X) have run of the house while I am out. We had been crating them because they were acting like typical puppies, and would get too into playing while we were out, and jump all over the furniture, and bark, and break things. According the people upstairs (they would look through the windows to see what was going on sometimes,) they were having a blast. After a shattered glass coffee table, we decided they were too young, or not trained enough, or whatever, to be out.
They have been consistently crated for the last 2 years with no problems, so long as they have been exercised before going in. My fiance left for a 2 month trip about 7 weeks ago, and Darwin (the beagle) started acting out a few days after he left. I expected him to be upset as they are very much a pair, but I didn't expect all of the crate training to go completely out the window! The first day I came home and the blanket in the crate was soaking wet. At first I had assumed an accident, but upon further investigation, I realized it was just saliva. Darwin started panting. And panting. And panting. And panting. I increased the walk time considerably, among other tactics-that worked while training them the first time-but nothing helped. Then he started trying to get out by pulling on the bars of the crate until they would bend and break off at the welds. He is a really calm dog otherwise, sleeps ALL day. So I thought hey! Let's try leaving them out now. I made the change very gradually. Only letting them stay out for very short periods, like walking to the mail box etc. and all was well! For a month! BUT. All of a sudden, this last week, our OTHER dog, started peeing IN the crate while I'm out. Not while they are in it. I mean, she must get up off the couch, and into the crate to pee.
She absolutely LOVES her crate. She's more dachshund than poodle BY FAR, and loves small places. I haven't actually seen her do it, but Darwin has never had issues with soiling anywhere in the house, in fact as far as beagles go, he was a dream to housebreak....So I am 99% sure it isn't him. Razzle is only a 10lb dog, and she has had her fair share of accidents. But she hasn't had any in well over 6 months. I took her to the vet, and from what they can see it she definitely doesn't have any kind of UTI...Any ideas? I would prefer not to use pee pads, as I don't want to encourage ANY indoor bathroom breaks. The LONGEST they are alone for is 5 hours, but usually it's around 2 or 3.
I just finished school, and am going to start a new job soon, but for now I have the next 2 weeks (at least) to just focus on this issue.
While both my partner and I have had dogs our whole lives, these are our first dogs that are "ours," and the first time we have both had to be responsible for all of the training etc. I feel like we have actually done pretty well, considering Razzle is a rescue who wouldn't even go near a man and just hid under our couch for the first week we had her, and is now making friends with men at the dog park ON HER OWN...but I KNOW we are still "noobs." And we very very very much appreciate any advice that you guys can offer!