View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2008, 11:08 PM
When we picked up Poppy on Monday we were told that she had been wormed. Bruce ,our Vet, said that he would worm her anyway, just as well, although we never saw any in her poo, prior to going to the vet. After taking the pill her poos were full of worms, all dead mind you, (sorry ) Just goes to show that you should never assume your pup is worm free. I will be worming her again in two weeks time, and Ben now I must say I have never seen so many worms come out f such a small bum, they were huge, poor little lamb.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 07:58 AM
How is your little puppy today ?
minskiy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2008, 10:51 AM
She slept for almost 10 hours in a row and when wake up pooed whole ball of worms. Now she is lively again and running around the place.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Great news , poor little thing having all these worms . She must feel a whole lot better having got rid of them
minskiy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, lets hope so! Thanks for your support!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Could we see any photos ?
minskiy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2008, 12:07 PM

Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I can't see anything
minskiy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Check my avatar
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 01:49 PM
When I got one of my pups, I asked the Breeder what wormer she had used (she was a hobby breeder) and when she told me (it was an over-the-counter one) I wormed her the day after we got her home (using Panacur Paste). The following day, she vomited up a live 5 inch roundworm. I rushed her to the Vet, as a Breeder friend told me that she must have been born with worms to have a worm that size (she was nearly nine weeks by now). The Vet agreed and wormed her again with Milbemax. She still was sleeping alot and had diarrhoea a week later. My Vet put her on a five day course of Panacur Paste (would definitely not advise this without a Vets advice). She poo'd out dead worms and her bloated tummy went down within a day or two! I have never seen anything since then and worm her monthly still (she's eight months now), as I don't want to take any chances.

I was told by the Vet that when you worm them, you only kill live worms so any eggs that are still around in the intestines, etc., will hatch out after this and then start the cycle all over again. Wormers only kill worms, not eggs, unfortunately. That is why regular worming is essential.

Would add that the Breeder of this pup paid all my Vets bills. She had definitely wormed the Mum and Pups but using an over-the-counter wormer was just a waste of her money. Then she paid £120 of Vets fees to get the pup completely worm-free (one of the visits was out of hours Sunday, so was very expensive). She learned an expensive lesson!

Also, when they have been wormed, I always give my dogs a little live plain goats yoghurt for a few days (only a teaspoon each), as this tends to balance their gut flora after the wormer.

Worms are a nuisance - but easily remedied once the Vet gets it under control.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >