Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2008, 06:56 PM

puppy strangle

nieghbor of mines collie x has had a litter of puppies, they're only 3 weeks old, 1 of the pups has puppy strangle and has been put on antibiotics, the vet said the other puppies could get it but hasn't said to seperate the pup with the puppy strangle, anyone had any experience of this ?
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2008, 07:38 PM
When I had my first litter, one boy developed Puppy Strangles & the Vet did not tell me to separate them either, another went down with it also but not as bad as the first, I then had the 2 together separate from the rest of the litter.......but it is difficult.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Never heard of it, sorry. Sounds nasty
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks Sweep and Vicki...Sweep did the pups survive ? x
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Thanks Sweep and Vicki...Sweep did the pups survive ? x
Yes! Even though one( my boy Sweep) was really so poorly & on a lot of medication, also the Vet suggested PTS, but I nursed him through it, he lived until 12 yrs...his brother who wasn't as bad is still alive & kicking at 13yrs old.

Sweep, the worst, was put on a course of corticoid(steriods) & was suscepatable to more problems health wise.
Ruari, his brother had no further problems

The rest of the litter were fine too.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2008, 01:38 PM
I know of a pup had this - he was about 7 weeks when he developed it though - on alot of medication - face very swollen - ears swollen but he is a very happy healthy chap no further issues - none of the rest of the litter developed it and he stayed with the breeder until 12 weeks I think - his litter sister was still with him too.

He was quite poorly for some time though.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2008, 02:13 PM
seperating a sick pup from the others is not allways a bad idea,IMO mis diagnosis could be disastorious for a litter..iv been there .....vets are only human and do there best and sometimes there best is not enough.......phil
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Aw thanks you guys, at least I can tell her not to worry too much, she must've only heard the bad senarios the vet was giving her, worst case that is, I'll go give her a hug tonight and see how there all doing...
thanks again Sweep x