View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I am glad you are going to see someone. I had no problems bonding with my second son but boy did I suffer from PND. Not nice for you or your OH.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I am sorry to hear you are going through this - I hope the GP can offer advice and help you.

It is common to suffer from post natal depression and it can be made worse when you're tired through lack of sleep and stressed, worrying that you're doing things 'right'. Just don't allow yourself to feel pressurised in any way by anyone - family, health visitors, books or forums. Everyone has opinions on feeding, sleeping, baby crying, etc. etc. You do what is best for both you and your baby.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Aw big hugs xxx

I have no experience yet (baby due in 4 weeks) but my hormones have been sending me and my hubby insane, crying one minute, happiest in my life i've ever been the next, worrying then carefree...allover the place so I understand a little how you feel. I've never been one to get 'hormonal' at that time of the month so this has come as a bit of a shock to us both .

Reading some of the replies it sounds like I've got it pre baby, oh 'eck!

I hope you feel loads better soon and the doc has helped you today xxx
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Hello ATD. I hope you have been reassurred by your GP that PND is something that so many women experience to some degree or another that it is just about normal. It does not mean that mums with PND are unable to bond with their baby, so don't worry about that.
Your body has been growing this baby for about nine months and the hormones associated with pregnancy and birth suddenly take a nosedive when the baby is born, plus you are overwhelmingly tired. These factors contribute to why so many people feel like you are feeling after the birth of a baby and why PND occurs. Tiredness, unbalanced hormones coupled with a completely new experience of responsibility can be overwhelming. Also unlike before the birth, you can no longer please yourself and go to bed if you are tired. Your child is now tied to you 24hrs.7 days a week and your every move has to be thought through with the baby in mind.
Certainly for me the responsibility was scary; I suffered with PND and my hormones were all over the place. I wondered if I was up to the job.
There are a lot of lovely people on this forum who have come forward and have experienced what you are going through now. Use the forum members, your GP and HV to talk about how you are feeling. I am sure you will get over this, give yourself a bit of time and be kind to yourself. Don't beat yourself up about how you are feeling and don't try to do everything perfectly. You are not alone.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
sweetie ((hugs))

I have/had PND (tho mildly) It is a horrid feeling, times of complete joy, and then complete despair. Happy and then angry (or all at the same time) Complete helplessness, and I felt unworthy of being my sons mother.

I love my son more than anything else (and despite what the pros say, mothers who breast feed can and do still get PND)

Firstly, speak to your OH...he maybe doesnt understand what is going on, and is struggling with the "new parent" feelings too
Secondly, Speak to your Doctor and HV its what they are there for and they can help you

I personally found that getting myself off the "mummy" forums (full of nit picking, perfect parents who's babies sleep through from day one, dont have colic, and look perfectly made up 24/7...when I looked/felt like a bag of nappies, and my son screamed 4 hours solid every night)

Thirdly..and this is important...look after yourself...you cannot care for your baby if you are not looking after yourself. Plenty of water/ fruit/veg..if you are bf'ing then eat more. Get plenty of rest...when babe is snoozing, get some sleep yourself..sod the ironing, it will still be there tomoz.
Fourthly. Get outta the house...fresh air exercise will help no end (you dont have the do the mum and baby groups more than once a week if you dont want to!) Just pop to the library, go for a stroll, whatever. Just get out of the house at least daily for 1 hour.
Fithly *is that a word?* Me time...Long hot soak in the tub, slob in front of telly with choc, go get your nails done, take the dog for a walk..ON YOUR OWN...be you, and not just Mummy, "the Mrs" or whatever

If you need anyone to chat to or whatever then feel free to pm me sweetie ((hugs))
What she said, if you are doing so, stop listening to all the perfect parents out there, having a new baby is hard work, both emotionally and physically, glad to see you are seeking help.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Sorry your health visitor was of little help all of mine have given me huge multiple choice questionnaires to do, each answer equals a certain number of points and depending on the total number of points you get tells them your 'depression level' which they use to determine if you have baby blues, are normal or have PND and if so how severely.

Glad you got a doctor appointment I hope they are of more help.

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Aw big hugs xxx

I have no experience yet (baby due in 4 weeks) but my hormones have been sending me and my hubby insane, crying one minute, happiest in my life i've ever been the next, worrying then carefree...allover the place so I understand a little how you feel. I've never been one to get 'hormonal' at that time of the month so this has come as a bit of a shock to us both .

Reading some of the replies it sounds like I've got it pre baby, oh 'eck!

I hope you feel loads better soon and the doc has helped you today xxx
I was the same with my first, I would be at work listening to the radio fine and dandy and 5 minutes later I'd be a blubbering wreck for no reason.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Hay
Thanks for all your support the doc did the points questionaire which he said in combination with how I'm feeling points to PND. So he has given me antidepressants for two weeks which im a little worried about because I breastfeed and co-sleep for part of the night. But at least I know in not going crazy
ATD x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I hope the ADs help you get through it and things feel better really soon.

You do realise you've mentioned co-sleeping AND the 'D' word in the same day?Brave person!

On a serious note, you really have to do things YOUR way, so that it is the best way for both you and the baby and you will find what suits the pair of you best. Never mind all the 'experts'. I had all the 'advice' about co-sleeping and how to put the baby down but with my little boy none of it worked out the way they say it should in the NHS books and we ended up having some co-sleeping too - but usually with my husband. We used to call him Baby Grumpling because he was SO grumpy at times. I didn't think he liked me at all, he was always more comforted with his dad. He's happy now though, 14 months on AND he sleeps on his own in his own room, has done for a long time now. Wish I could say the same for my daughter ...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Right now you have GOT some help TAKE the ADs because it does not mean you have to be on them for life and you have to interrupt your feelings for the sake of your OH and baby.

You can then review and look at alternatives when you are in a better state of mind.

sometimes you have to TAKE help!

Good luck
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Hay
I always thought post natal depression was where you didn't bond with your baby, is it possible to have it but have bonded with your baby?

I bin feeling really low lately, no interested in doing anything, snapping at OH. Feeling on top on the world one min and in tears the next. I just thought it was stress but someone mentioned it.

I tend to burry my head in the sand normally but I'm loOsing my OH because of it. And I really don't no wot to do
Anne-Theresa PND is not really about bonding with your baby, it is about you being on a hormonal roller-coaster for many months which can play havoc with the way you feel (and yes for some relate to your baby) .

Remember we are all different and have varying hormone levels and mood swings pre and post birth. Also having a baby is of course a huge life changing experience, exciting and frightening at the same time . Being tearful one moment and exhilarated the next is all perfectly normal.

If you feel you aren't coping as the others say speak to your doctor.

I found when I worked nights sleep deprivation made me much more 'emotional' , tearful and unable to cope with everyday situations. This without any baby being present .

Try to grab some rest whenever you can, have a nap during the day when your baby does if you can and above all try and relax , leave the housework and enjoy your baby

ETA have just read your later post and see you have spoken to your doctor.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >