View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:37 PM

Do all rescues home check, and do you think they should?

Just wondering how you guys felt about this, considering the spouting some rescues do, do you feel home checking is an essential part of finding a home for an unwanted dog?
Dawn.
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:43 PM
I know I feel happier knowing that we were home checked before we got Saffy.

Aileen x
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Well to be honest when I took Jas on we weren't home checked but we were asked a lot of questions about owning staffords.

I think home checking should be done just to confirm that the prospective owners are who they say they are and that the address is true. I don't think that the home check should be the be all and end all. The most important thing to me is that the prospective new owners can give the dog the love and attention it needs.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Think home checking is a good idea, as long as the rescue has realistic expectations. Do think that they are way to picky though, some people get turned down for unbelievable reasons. Like not being married!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

03-09-2005, 09:09 PM
I think that home checks are important but it dosen't always give a realistic idea whether the home is suitable or not.

Been thinking of other ways but can't come up with an answer - I have known of loads of people who have gone to rescues taken on animals only to abandon them or give them up later on

when I got Confucious (cat) from a rescue I had to get a home check I was told that I would have to neuter my male cat (he was only about 3 months old at the time!) and that he would have to put on more weight because he was too skinny and that I would if approved get another visit after 6 months.
Well my vet did not think he needed to put on any weight and for obvious reasons would not neuter until he was after 6 months old.

I was approved - got Confucious and never did recieve my 6 month follow up visit or even a phone call. 8 years on both cats are very healthy and happy and still with me
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
when i adopted delaney,i didn't get home checked but only because i had an excellent vets reference,they are able to just drop in on you though(unnanounced)to check up on your dog/animal which i think is greati regularly sent updated pictures and progress reports to his foster mumalso i suppose as i live in west midlands and i collected him from wales distance may have been an issue,i would love for them to come and see him and i am sure he would love to visit them
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I wasnt home-checked for Ollie, but my mate was who had a dog from the same place!! I think they should all home-check and do 6month follow ups on the dogs and all neuter them before they go as we had to have Ollie neutered ourselves.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2005, 09:15 PM
This is something i've thought about since getting Vegas.

When i reserved him,they told me i would not need a homecheck and that they would come over to see us after a few days to see how we were getting on.

Their questionaire was quite thorough with asking things like:how high/what type of fencing,name of veterinary practice,facilities for excercise,experience,family members etc.

The only 2 things i can think of is-someone there knows me or they contacted my vet (they use them) for a reference.Everyone else i've spoken to who's had a dog from them had a pre-visit before picking it up.I meant to ask the lady who checked up on us,but completely forgot!

ps.When the lady turned up 3 days later to see us-Vegas jumped up and scratched her nose!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Emm
I think that home checks are important but it dosen't always give a realistic idea whether the home is suitable or not.

Been thinking of other ways but can't come up with an answer - I have known of loads of people who have gone to rescues taken on animals only to abandon them or give them up later on

when I got Confucious (cat) from a rescue I had to get a home check I was told that I would have to neuter my male cat (he was only about 3 months old at the time!) and that he would have to put on more weight because he was too skinny and that I would if approved get another visit after 6 months.
Well my vet did not think he needed to put on any weight and for obvious reasons would not neuter until he was after 6 months old.

I was approved - got Confucious and never did recieve my 6 month follow up visit or even a phone call. 8 years on both cats are very healthy and happy and still with me
Exactly the same with my two dogs, never did get my 6 month check but both are still here eating me out of house and home!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
i agree that all dogs who are old enough should be speyed or neutered.i signed a contract to say i would have my boy neutered at 6 months and send paperwork to rescue centre,the contract said i also had to microchip him and ensure he had veterinary treatment as and when required and keep up his vaccs.they were responsible in advising people to take the dogs to training classes and get them insured.the contract also says if they suspect the animal is not taken care of properly they can and will remove them,it also says i can't rehome the animal and he must be returned to the rescue centre if things don't work out.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >