View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah I guess if he's so scared then he's better off as he is. He seems to have a mummy that loves him etc. and that's what counts.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 09:54 AM
If she's exhausted all avenues as far as training and behaviourists go and the dog is still a quivering wreck on walks, I don't see any problem with keeping him where he is happy and avoiding the stress walking must cause both of them.

There's no harm in her keep trying periodically. If you see her again, ask her has she tried a thundershirt on him?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Sometimes, you just have to let the dog tell you how he feels. I've pretty much decided to quit trying to "fix" Oliver (though we're trying one more training class not that he needs obedience, he needs to learn to be around people and other dogs, who dont go near him without trying to kill them) I dont think Oliver enjoys being around other dogs outside the home, he's just too stressed, and I dont think he'll ever be ok around strangers at first... But that's ok, he loves his solitary country road walks, and his on lead town walks, he adores playing with my dogs and a few "friends"... that's enough for him to be happy.... so why should I "fix" him? that being said... I am trying classes one more time I feel he has matured enough and learned enough for it to work a little better now.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:41 AM
ild give up on the walks if it was me, after all its the dog thats important and he clearly doesnt want to go walkies
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Raz hasn`t been out the front yet, willingly. We had to force him once when he had an abscess (for treatment) and when we first got him I tried taking him out and he panicked and was terrified.
So no - it doesn`t benefit the dog to be afraid.
After a while the dog might be relaxed enough to start. Since November I have been putting Razzle`s lead on and we wander round the downstairs rooms and the garden. It has gradually expanded his world. previously he would only come out of his `safe place` to pee etc. Now he comes to see if dinner is ready and yesterday he stalked off into garden in disgust when I got the hoover out. Previously we had to manoevre him into his safe place in the other room. Now he feels relaxed in the garden and this is a big step.
But you have to go at the pace of the dog. Raz might never go out. But if he lives without terror, that is a good thing IMO.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Forcing a scared dog to go out can just escalate the fear. I would forget about walks for now.
Have you tried playing onlead games in the front garden, and just going in the front garden with tasty treats. Or starting by standing in the front doorway feeding treats, if the garden is too scary. Sometimes taking very small steps over a period of months and not moving on to another step till they are completely relaxed with the last step can work wonders.
He is a young dog so there is no rush and you may find it takes 2 years before he will happily walk out the gate and stand on the pavement outside, but does that matter. Slowly slowly often wins the race as they say.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2