View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Hoki's Cruciate Ligament Op (longish post)

Well Hoki has had her op this morning.

Vet has spoken to OH and is pleased with how it went. Turns out she had completely ruptured the cruciate ligament & also had damage to the 'sponge' tissue which is supposed to cushion the joint (forget its proper name - miniscus?).

The Vet had suspected a partial tear, but did not think she had completely ruptured it as there was not extensive movement & she was putting her foot down. However, it turns out that all her leg muscles had tightened up, keeping it more in place than would otherwise be the case.

We think this is an old injury - long before we adopted her & that it is possibly the reason why her previous owners let her get so overweight. Then again, it could have been the overweightness (if there is such a word!) that has caused the injury. When I think back, she has walked/run funny since we got her, but I just thought that she was 'waddling' because she was so fat.

Anyway, the main point of the post (for any that have got this far) is to ask those of you who's dogs have had the op how long rehabilitation takes (including each phase - e.g. no exercise for x time, lead walks for y time etc.). I have read other threads on cruciate ligament damage, but can't see anything specfically relating to the healing time.

I'm sure the vet will go through this with OH this afternoon or tomorrow (not sure when we are to pick her up yet), but I would be interested to hear other's personal experience.

Thanks
Hali
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Sorry can't help with your question about her rehabilitation.

But I'm glad to read that everything went well with her operation.....i hope she is fit and able to have a good run about soon
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 02:22 PM
from what i remember i carried my girl to the toilet and up and downstairs for 6 weeks,once she was in the garden she could walk around and knew her limit,i believe she could have done hydrotherapy from 6 weeks but i couldn't get booked in.if your vet is like ours they prefer to keep the overnight to keep an eye on them you should also get written instructions on after care as there is a lot to take in
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks Toby & Griff.
I am dreading the next few weeks - she is such an active dog & doesn't take well to doing nothing.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:10 PM
talk to your vet and ask what he thinks of using valerian tablets, they are herbal and you can buy them in health food shops, it calms without sedating,it may help her
i was dreading it after my girls op and to be honest she knew it hurt her so didn't run around, i also kept a lead and collar on her 24 hours a day incase she decided to run
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Which op did she have? Nala had the TPLO which has different healing times to the normal ligament replacement. She didn't show any interest in going for a walk for about 3 weeks (although she did wander into the garden on her own) and then she wanted to come out with us so we let her take it at her own pace and increased the distance as she got stronger. We also had to do daily bending and stretching exercises on her knee.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Glad Hokis came through the op ok, poor soul...give her a kiss on the nose for me. xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Griff - thanks for this suggestion - haven't heard of this before, so will go & look it up.

Chellie - I don't know yet exactly what has been done, but am certain that it wasn't the TPLO, which I believe has much quicker healing times. Unfortunately Hoki has the typical collie attitude of keeping going no matter what, so I am not holding out hope that she won't want to be up and about.

Inkliveeva - thanks - I will do as soon as I see her!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Hali I am pleased for you that the operation is over and Hoki is safe...if you do a search on here for 'cruciate ligament' you will find a number of members who have gone through a similar experience with their dogs.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Glad to hear Hoki is home safe - My friends doberman had his cruiciate done and he had to have lead walks only for 6months
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >