View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Wouldn't put him in charge of a rock, let alone an animal! Try watching it and just looking at the dogs without any of his 'explanations' as to what they're doing, 9 times out of 10 it's just a scared confused dog trying to get away, protect itself or appease him.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lunas_Mama View Post
Just wondering how many people are fans of the dog wisperer?

I am, i think his shows awesome and he is so great with dogs. Someone could be having problems with their dogs for years and ceaser comes in and within 5 minutes he solves the problem . Ive learned alot from his shows and his tips and everything actually work . Only thing is i cant get the ShhhhT noise down yet lol . What are your thoughts?
If you watch closely you will see the camera angles and things are impossible in one take - it is not sorted in 5 mins, that is careful editing. Fans of his have said in his books (havent read them, dont want to give him any money) say that in many cases what you see on the TV is him visiting the dog after weeks, possibly months of training with him, his staff or his dogs
His tips may work but not for the reasons he says they work. Ask a animal loving child to watch him with the sound off

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Do you think/know that is what he does? makes sense I guess.
Yup, what you are seeing on the TV is not his first visit to the dog - in many cases
and the clip with him and the ecoller shocking the dog - when he dosent admit he is actualy using the device

There are lots of amazing positive trainers out their who use the wealth of scientific research that has been going on for decades to help dogs without causing them stress and pain
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:58 PM
He says some sensible stuff...
Exercise = yes (but not treadmills) Diet = yes... Calm = yes....

Rolling/pinning/shocking/illusion collars/'biting' and 'nudging' with foot = NO!!!!!

...and that does it for me I'm afraid - someone who uses those methods is not worth my time.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't put him in charge of a Tamagotchi.....
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I wouldn't put him in charge of a Tamagotchi.....
I don't think I'd put him in charge of a stuffed toy even. He certainly wouldn't get near my dog/s.

Yes, I think exercise, calm (as in a place to rest when they want to), good diet etc are all good but then who needs a twerp on tv to tell them that?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Yes it's part of the pre program "warm"up for the dog to get it conditioned to react to the Shhht. Seen footage of it when I was visiting friends in the US
Is this absolutely true, straight up? If so I am not surprised and he is even MORE down in my estimation, if that is even possible.

What a nasty man he is. What does he say in his books about conditioning this "sssht" word?

I imagined he conditioned it somehow using an aversive, anyone who knows about how dogs learn can see that easily - but does he always do it using an electric shock collar?

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I hate that he only wants the dogs to submit, therefore he never sets them up for success, only failure. It's appalling.

To the OP - have a read of this it's the Dog Welfare Campaign, headed by the RSPCA, APBC, APDT, plus many other worldwide veterinary and behaviour organisations, all against the methods he uses.

What I like about the website is that there is a whole lot of information on there about how dogs really learn, the dominance myth, with its full history, how dogs learn in social situations and many other things - well worth a read!!

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/press-statement.php

"UK animal welfare, behaviour, training and veterinary organisations1 are warning of the possible dangers of using techniques for training dogs that can cause pain and fear, such as some of those seen used by Cesar Millan, who has announced a UK tour next year.

The organisations have joined forces to voice their serious concerns about techniques which pose welfare problems for dogs and significant risk to owners who may copy them. These concerns are shared, and the statement supported, by similar organisations around the world2 and in continental Europe3".

Wys
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Is this absolutely true, straight up? If so I am not surprised and he is even MORE down in my estimation, if that is even possible.

What a nasty man he is. What does he say in his books about conditioning this "sssht" word?

I imagined he conditioned it somehow using an aversive, anyone who knows about how dogs learn can see that easily - but does he always do it using an electric shock collar?

Wys
x
I had heard this as well that he conditioned the 'shht' with an ecollar...I heard it from someone who I just can't see would lie...but of course everyone needs to be careful and the workd 'allegedly' has to be used a lot I think
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I personally like CM, HOWEVER (puts on bullet proof vest lol) I think like ANY TRAINER/BEHAVIOURIST you see, be it in person or on TV, you should take and apply the bits that you are comfortable doing with your dog.

I'm looking forward to going to see him in March, and have read one of his books, and his principals make sense (excercise, dicipline, affection)
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
ah well its been a while since a CM thread
It has indeed and i wont be getting on in this one

But for Lunas Mama, i wouldnt say im a fan, but dont dislike the guy, i watch his program on occasions. I use some of his methods, but not because i saw them on the dog whisperer, i use them with a dog trainer who uses similar theory.
I have been made aware of a couple of episodes of the dog whisperer, which i dont agree with, but then have also on other programs like dog borstal.

I wasnt going to say, but i was brought tickets to see him on his uk tour, so il be interested to see the audience reaction to him there, as i know he divides the doggy nation.
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »