Our sister sites
Our sister sites
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:00 AM

pyometra and pseudo pregnancy

Dear All,
I am a new member looking for some advice re conflicting advice given by vet and internet. Our much loved springer spaniel Nell who is just 7 has developed pyometra and pseudo pregnancy. For over seven days she has eaten little, shown little energy and sits in her bed area which is not at all her usual bouncy self. I have taken her to vet three times and she has diagnosed the above conditions and prescribed antibiotic injections and today medicine to inhibit hormones to reduce lactation and hopefully encourage her away from bed. She has taken her temp which was 39.9 so quite high and taken blood sample which we should get results from tomorrow. Shes advised that due to risks of operating at moment with the infection persent she is trying to ttreat the infection before she spays Nell. However the internet says the opposite that she should have the spay now not later, and that there is much risk of her uterus (abdomen does look extended-and shes lost 1/3 of her body weight approx) rupturing and leaking the pus inside! I am bedse myself with worry here and do not know which is right or who to listen to now! The vet has asked we bring Nell back tuesday 1st in morning but will she be aive then even?? I guess I could take her back tommorrow anyway even though vet said tuesday but if she still feels its best to wait what do I do?
Boy do I wish I had her spayed before but we didnt know if we wanted her to have puppies and I confess I didnt know about this risk. I feel so guilty already I really need to fell Ive done the best by her now - anyone any advice on which info is right??
To give more info she will still go for short walks with encouragment but without us pestering her she just sits in basket and vet feels most of this is psuudo pregnancy as she is lactating plus plus. I feel this is at least partly due to her infection but vet advises we encourage her out of basket for short walks.
She wil take treats if we bring them to her, and does still ask to go out but if water etc was not beside her bed she wouldnt take it.
She's been sick once a week ago that was about when she stopped eating properly and she needs encouragemenet to eat even her favourites since that point although she has had an hour or so when she picks up eats drinks a little and then flakes again.
PLEASE help me here,
Love Manxie
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Hi Manxie,
It sounds like you have already had conflicting reports on your sweet girl Nell. You know your dog best ( like we all do) and if you are really unhappy with her current state, I would most certainly not wait until Tuesday, but get her to the vet's first thing in the morning.

I felt your anxiety from your post, and all I can do is offer positive vibes at this time for Nell.

Good Luck at the vet's tomorrow - I will be thinking of you x
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:14 AM
thanks trixy yes I am very worried have been for days- each time I take her vet reasures me but I only read this on net this pm and feel I was right to be worried now. I think I will take her back tomorrow.
Thanks Manxie
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Why don't you take a copy of what you have read and show your vet - just a thought.
We all know vet's can differ in opinion!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Hi, i am sorry that you and nell are having such a terrible time of it.

I wish i could tell you the anwsers but unfortunately i have no experience with either.

If it was me, i would be inclined to take nell to another vet in the morning just to see what they advise. If they agree then it will hopefully put your mind at rest sumwhat.

Now that you have done your own research on the net you could enquire a bit more as to what others are saying should be done.

good luck, and i wish you both well.
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:22 AM
thats a good idea yes - its staes very clearly that op should happwn now -even states "not after few days anti biotics to build up the dog" which is what vet said almost word for word. I dont want vet to feel I am arguing with her as she knows best Im sure but then again I want whats best for Nell. Maybe coping it would help.
Thanks again,
Manxie
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:26 AM
yes shiba thanks,
I guess I could ring another vet for advise see what they say yes. Im not that happy with this vets hygiene level anyhow- which was never a big issue before but with this sort of op I am concerned about that too. So another vet may be the solution all round- I'll look up another in the morning I think. Thanks to both of you - I am not thinking right with the worry -
Love Manxie
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:28 AM
If you are getting blood results tomorrow wait until you have them. Write everything down that the tell you and then if you still feel unsure, Go to another vet, armed with result details for a second opinion.

Your vet doesn't need to know you are going for a second opinion, that up to you.

good luck and let us know what happens. they don't half worry us don't they!!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by manxie View Post
yes shiba thanks,
I guess I could ring another vet for advise see what they say yes. Im not that happy with this vets hygiene level anyhow- which was never a big issue before but with this sort of op I am concerned about that too. So another vet may be the solution all round- I'll look up another in the morning I think. Thanks to both of you - I am not thinking right with the worry -
Love Manxie

In that case i would definately go to another vet immediately.
manxie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2007, 12:31 AM
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/pyo.html
this is the link that states operate now rather than later if anyone is interested loks valid enough-
thanks shiba - may take till tomorrow pm to get those results though - not sure I can worry that long! shes been like this for a week now so I assume the risk of the ruptured uterus is climbing all the time? I guess Im not going to sleep much tonight.
thanks for advise - I will let you know whats happening,
love Manxie
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »